some recent artwork

Travis, these sketchings are incredible. Have you given thought to engraving or scrimshaw? If you can draw you can engrave.

Very nice work there Travis. I really like the one of the little boy the one of your daughter, oh and that cow one too. The two of the kids are really impressive to me mainly because I think faces are one of the hardest things to render. Bruce might be on to something with the engraving idea.

Thanks for sharing those and please show us some more when you get the chance.

The drawing of your daughter is outstanding, all off them are great well done. I love to draw in pencil but do mostly animals I find humans to difficult to draw.

Well guys, thanks for all the kind words. From posting these same pictures on a different forum, I actually got my first commissioned portrait. It looks like my "hourly return" with drawing will be a little higher than with knives, but not too much. I'm thinking about cutting back from about 25 knives a year to 6 or 8 super nice ones and focusing a bit more on artwork. I'd love to get into scrimshaw or especially engraving, but I've got more hobbies than I've got time for. I think engraving may be in my future, but I'm going to try to delay that as long as I can.

I'm a bit concerned that whatever reputation as a knifemaker I may have developed may eventually simply fade away if I cut my production that much. On the flipside, perhaps the artwork will lend my knifemaking a bit more credibility. What do y'all think?

Back