Some of my previous work.. a linerlock

supermono

Hi there,
I started making folding knifes back in 2012, built some linerlocks, but due to divorce where i lost my house and workshop pretty much everything came to a halt in mid 2013. Anyway, I'm almost done with my new house and hopefully I can go back to spending some time in my workshop again! In the meanwhile i'd like to show you some of my previous work. Please let me know what you think. This one has a CPM154cm blade, bolster of titanium, scales made of moose bone, stainless backspacer with an attempt at filework.
Cheers
/O
knivar-1600.jpgknivar-1597.jpgknivar-1598.jpg

That looks great! If you don't mind a question or two..... I'm putting some bone scales on a folder right now and I'm curious how the bone scales hold up as far as staying nice and flat on the liners. I'm guessing the screws on the outside are just to hold the bone on, with screws underneath to hold the knife together?

That looks great! If you don't mind a question or two..... I'm putting some bone scales on a folder right now and I'm curious how the bone scales hold up as far as staying nice and flat on the liners. I'm guessing the screws on the outside are just to hold the bone on, with screws underneath to hold the knife together?

Thank you Anthony! I have only made two knifes with bone scales, so I'm probably not the rigth person to answer your question.. anyway, the scales seems to keep flat, but some very slight shrinkage seems to have taken place. A very thin gap has appeared between scale and bolster on one of the knifes. You are perfectly right about the screws; the knife is held together by two or sometimes three screw, contersunk in one of the liners, through the backspacer, and threaded into the liner on the other side.
Thanks

another one..

Gentlemen,
heres another linerlock i made..; aeb-l blade, scales made up of my mothers old pants soaked in polyester, liners from a steel ruler, bolster made of 7075-t6 aluminium. This knife is really small, i think the blade was less than 2". Made it for a lady i know who wanted a small knife for opening boxes at work.
thanks
/Oknivar-1595.jpgknivar-1593.jpgknivar-1589.jpg

thanks!
some more of my folders;
the brass/denim knife is the second folding knife i built.. Built after blueprints from Mr Terzuola's book. I guess Mr T would cry if he saw this knife. The liners are cut from an old circular sawblade, the scales are homebrew denim/polyester. The black knife with hidden pivot was the first project including titanium. Please let me know if i bore you with these pictures!
/O

Attachments

• P1010133.jpg
    P1010133.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010141.jpg
    P1010141.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010395.jpg
    P1010395.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 27
Your work looks very good ! And by the way I myself just assembled a small folder with bone from a leg of moose. I had had it for 14 years or so. It came out as smooth as ivory.
We all run into some bad spots in our lives of one sort or another. It seems you are a true survivor ! I sure like your folders hand hope you soon get back to making more. My best to you in the future.
Frank

Thank you Frank! The bone for this knife was stolen from my parents dog..; during hunting season we cut up moose legs for the dog to chew on.. after a week or so they are absolutely cleaned from all soft tissue, and left outside in the yard for a year or so they get bleached by the sun. It still amazes me how thick the bone is at some places in a moose leg.
thanks
/Ola

Whoa! You used mom's old pants to make the scales? LOL I trust she said it was alright?:3:

Nice looking little folders. I like that one with mom's pants. Looks like an Elephant Toe nail Warnicliff!

Whoa! You used mom's old pants to make the scales? LOL I trust she said it was alright?:3:

Nice looking little folders. I like that one with mom's pants. Looks like an Elephant Toe nail Warnicliff!

Haha! I asked before i cut them up to handle material! My mother is just a tad over 5ft tall but she has one hell of a temper, so no cutting up clothes without asking..
Funny you should mention the little wharncliff; yesterday i started working on the liners for another one in that model! Cut the liners from a steel ruler again.. The plan is to make the blade from an old file, that way I can take care of heat treatment myself. My local HT company doesn't like to do just one blade at the time... I do however have an old defunct, small oven that I bought from a potmaker that I intend to use for heat treatment. I "just" need to install new elements and hook everything up to get it running.. Oh well, I'll take some WIP-pics when i get home tonight. Been thinking of black micarta for bolster, and white for scales.
Cheers!

DSC01230.jpgDSC01231.jpgDSC01233.jpgThanks! I've been wrestling with my new IKEA kitchen for a couple of days now..., that means no time to spend in the workshop.. Anyway, here is some pics of the third folder i built; blade from AEB-L, liners from an cirkular sawblade, bolster of 7075 alu, scales from bog oak. Hmm... can't find any pics of the finished knife! I'll see if i can find some pics later.
Thanks
/O

Back