So Close with Pics

Two words brother: Plunge Less... in seriousness though I would make my choil deeper and set my plunge line in the middle of the choil or toward the front. It helps keep you from grinding past it. Believe me, I know.

lol that’s funny, Garry! Literally 2 seconds before reading this, I was looking at the knife thinking that the notches on my knives are always messed up. I’m thinking I should probably file the notch before I start beveling, right? The thickness of the ricasso vs the blade pushes the file toward the point.
I always file the notch before grinding and start about the 3/4 -7/8 of the way toward the back untill the finish grind when I take it right to the back of the ntch.

Two words brother: Plunge Less... in seriousness though I would make my choil deeper and set my plunge line in the middle of the choil or toward the front. It helps keep you from grinding past it. Believe me, I know.
Thank you. That’s the exact look I want.

I see you have ground beyond the sharpening notch Kevin. That is something to watch

Easy fix make the Choil a little bigger! I wait till I'm almost done grinding before I put the choil in that way if I need to blend something, or the plunge is a little mucked up I can file the choil in and hide a little bit of sin if need be!

I always file the notch before grinding and start about the 3/4 -7/8 of the way toward the back untill the finish grind when I take it right to the back of the ntch.
Thanks, Garry. These little details make all the difference. I’m really trying to take my blades to the next level.

Easy fix make the Choil a little bigger! I wait till I'm almost done grinding before I put the choil in that way if I need to blend something, or the plunge is a little mucked up I can file the choil in and hide a little bit of sin if need be!
I will try this in a little while. Thx

Oh wait I see what y’all are seeing now lol. The pic makes it look 100 times worse. Let me clean it up a bit. I’ll repost soon

It’s still pushed too far back though.... id like it to run dead center. I think if I file it first I should be able to nail it with the file guide.

Last edited:
I got this tip here, do all of your grinding forward of where you want your plunge then move the guide back to its final location during finish grinding.

Back