Smelt #4

ZebDeming

I've been prepping for my 4th smelt for the past week and this morning I got up and started to smelt :)
A few details about the smelt, I used about 45 pounds of crushed taconite pellets and crushed up bloomery bits. I used a new blower for this smelt, an industrial vacuum cleaner motor. It's a 2 stage pump and makes about 3 psi of static pressure. The burn rate was kept at about 1800 grams of charcoal every 10 minutes along with the same weight of ore. The added pressure was nice as It kept my tuyere clear from slag, I never had to clear the tuyere of slag the entire smelt, BTW I use just a black iron pipe for a tuyere.
The bloom was nice, solid, nicely centered and a nice shape, my best yet, I'll weigh it tomorrow.

Now for some pictures

The new blower

DSCN1715.jpg

DSCN1716.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

DSCN1719.jpg

DSCN1722.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

And a boring video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q23kEZA7sOM&feature=youtu.be

Now that the fun part's done, it's on to the hard part, the processing...

Thanks for watching

Zeb

AWESOME, Sorry I couldnt make it out for this one! Next time your heading this way, stop in and get your coat and bring me some to play with!! :) I would love to make a kitchen knife from this awesome material!! :)

Very cool or I should say hot ! you guys got me all excited . Your right the hard part is coming , good luck ... Bubba

AWESOME, Sorry I couldnt make it out for this one! Next time your heading this way, stop in and get your coat and bring me some to play with!! :) I would love to make a kitchen knife from this awesome material!! :)

you just wanna make a knife out of anything but what you are supposed to!!!!!

Thanks everyone! I've been working slowly on getting the bloom sectioned up and worked up. I've got a bar now worked to 3 folds and it's seeming pretty solid. I gave Randy a piece of this for him and Jr to work their magic on, Can't wait to see what they do with it.

Zeb

Back