small kitchen tools question

KDTX

Hi Guys.....question from a very new knife maker:

I would like to make my wife a gift set of a bread (butter) spreader, small cheese knife and small cocktail type fork. These will be gifts for her. We entertain a lot and she has no need for a chef's knife, etc.

So the question is: I have some 1095 stock left over. Would this be ok for this kitchen set from a rust/finish perspective? Thinking of bringing each item to a high polish. Ideally Stainless would be the first choice but all the forging and hardening etc. for SS is out of my league. Also, would these small tools even need to be heat treated? We are talking about spreading butter, dips, cream cheese, etc. Just looking for some ideas so I can start planning this project.

Thanks!

Would this be ok for this kitchen set from a rust/finish perspective?
Also, would these small tools even need to be heat treated?
No too both. Well, maybe I should say maybe for the first one, depending on whether or not you like the look of a blade with a patina.

Burt if you plan on continuing to make knives, you'd do just as well saving the 1095 for another project and make this out of mild steel.

Hi Guys.....question from a very new knife maker:

I would like to make my wife a gift set of a bread (butter) spreader, small cheese knife and small cocktail type fork. These will be gifts for her. We entertain a lot and she has no need for a chef's knife, etc.

So the question is: I have some 1095 stock left over. Would this be ok for this kitchen set from a rust/finish perspective? Thinking of bringing each item to a high polish. Ideally Stainless would be the first choice but all the forging and hardening etc. for SS is out of my league. Also, would these small tools even need to be heat treated? We are talking about spreading butter, dips, cream cheese, etc. Just looking for some ideas so I can start planning this project.

Thanks!
Did you get your project done? If NOT, why not try wood for the small utensils. I make stuff like this out of super hard woods that will actually cut you. Maybe a 1/8” piece of lignum vitae or ironwood for the blade and pretty scales of figured maple or something. Brass pins. sand it to 220 then buff. Whallah. I sell these so I know they’re for real.

Great Idea and I have never thought of that. What I did do was purchase some bar stock Stainless and I am just going to make the tools out of them without heat treat and temper. Just cut them out, polish, add scales and go. I may sharpen the cheese knife but if it looses it's edge oh well. It's for Christmas so I will post up pics when completed. THX

Back