Small fast power hammer

Noellaflamme

So, while I already have a power hammer, i am tempted to give making a small one a shot. My current one hits nice and hard, but isnt that useful for thinner cross sections like in knives, so I kind of want to give making a small faster hitting one a shot. Based off of a tire hammer type setup, with a like 20ish lb hammer, probably using one of the many car axles I have.

Has anyone used a smaller faster hammer like that before? Any big issues I should watch for when designing?

Thanks for any input, I'm not set on building this, but I have a lot of the materials and think it's worth considering.

Not a power hammer but, Coal Iron Works has a small 12 ton press that is only 30" tall. Looks like it would be relatively easy to make? I think the hardest part would be sourcing a Cylinder that would be short enough to fit the frame? They have a separate hydraulic power unit that has quick disconnects.

Well that thing looks pretty cool!! I subscribed to his YouTube channel, he only has 2 subscribers and one of them is me!

Back