Slowly, I'm making progress...

It is ALOT of sanding!!! I'm gonna use either birds eye maple, desert ironwood, od black and white ebony. The ebony is winning right now, but the ironwood is gaining fast.DSC01310.JPG

I do not know how many knives you have made but really its what you like that matters. You will not know what you like until you have made all kinds of shapes and finishes. The main reason I do not care for mirror finishes is they show scratches and prints badly. Plus its a ton of work. But if you like it, let it rock. There are many people on this site that would not like me using cedar in a knife handle but I like how light and easy to work it is, plus I know how to harden it up some. The bottom line is I like it so I use it.

I do not know how many knives you have made but really its what you like that matters. You will not know what you like until you have made all kinds of shapes and finishes. The main reason I do not care for mirror finishes is they show scratches and prints badly. Plus its a ton of work. But if you like it, let it rock. There are many people on this site that would not like me using cedar in a knife handle but I like how light and easy to work it is, plus I know how to harden it up some. The bottom line is I like it so I use it.
Great philosophy that I also subscribe.

Chris , this is my , let me stop and count...... I'm pretty sure that I'm all for way up to , let me see ... Two. However , this is the first one that I designed , removed the excess steel from the bar of 1084 , heat treated and sanded and sanded and sanded ! I'm pretty sure that the next one will be a satin finish , just to see if I like it better.

Sounds like a good plan. I really did consider making a survival type knife with a mirror polish one time. My intent was to punch a small hole in the flat so that it could be used as a signal mirror in a true emergency but I discounted the idea in about six minutes. The theory was sound but I am not sure mirror finish would be popular with the survival crowd...

Back