slip joint handle question

22h2

I noticed that the pins are domed on slip joints that use jig bone material how do you do that? I know its called pin spinning or something like that and I have bought a couple of tools to do it with but nothing so far has worked for me. anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.

What type of material are you using for the pins? I believe Tony Bose and several others use 316L SS as it spins easier than other stainless steels. You should be able to source this from a local welding supply company. Obviously, the pivot pin material still needs to match the bolster material in order to blend the two together and hide the pin.

Go to some of the knife suppliers on google and look up spinning tools. You must be using the wrong tools.
They have a 1/16 ,3/32 and a 1/8" one and you need the right size for the size pin you want to "Dome"

Last edited:
Thanks tleav61 for posting that link but that is one of the tools I'm current using, for some reason I cant get it to look right. I use 416 ss pins and maybe I should try the 300 series pins. I was wondering how every one else done thins?

22h2,
I have used the spinning tool, I think the SS I was using was 303SS, the main problem I had was getting the right amount of pin left to spin. Is that similar to your problem? There is the old way of making domed pins, but you have to be a perfectionist type of freak (like I'm accused of being)! And that's by using files, I've actually used an emory board like used on lady's fake finger nails, obviously it won't take off much material at a time but that's a good thing, if you do leave too much material sticking up, the emory board can shorten it too. Do keep in mind that SS is rough on them, so you'll need about 3 to 5 depending on how many pins you'll have. I'm not sure how well they will work on the SS you're using. The other option which I think might be better, is a "points file". If you can remember when a tune up for a car included "points and Plugs", it's a pretty small file, and works great. I got mine from Sears. The biggest advantage of the emory board is that it is flexible, that helps a little with the curvature of the dome. Hope this helps, Rex

BTW, using the combination of the 2 does work well too, using the files to get it close and the spinning tool to finish the domed part of the pin.
One more thing, in case y'all didn't know this, Sears Craftsman warranty DOES APPLY to files, if you wear it out, take it back and they give you a NEW ONE!!! I asked them when I learned this, and that's where I get most of my files. Even the little mini/micro/ what do you call them, Swiss maybe? Oh yea, needle files, I broke one, took it back and the guy there pulled a brand new one from a set, just like the one I bought!

Last edited:
The tools I've seen successfully used have two pieces. One that is stationary in a drill vice and one that spins in the drill press chuck. The tools are similarly shaped and typically made out of hardened tool steel. The stationary pin supports the pin from the backside while the front side is being spun. My understanding is that 416SS doesn't spin well at all (regardless of tool or technique), which is why several use 316L SS exclusively for spun pins.

What is the purpose of the cut-outs in the spinning tool linked above? That is a feature I've not seen on other spinning tools. Also, what supports the pin from the backside?

Check with Enrique Pena,He used to ake a set with bottom and top dies for spinning.
Stan

Back