Slight setback

Bill Vining

So I have a few on the bench that I'm trying to get done. Due to some physical issues, this is taking longer than expected. First of all, I am having issues with my shoulder. I have limited movement which makes it tough to do anything. In addition, Carpal Tunnel is kicking my butt. My hands are constantly cramping and makes it quite a challenge to hand sand, file, etc. I am going to see the Orthopedic surgeon today for my shoulder and have an appointment with the hand doctor next week. I am hoping all these issues get resolved. Meanwhile, being the stubborn SOB I am, I still go into the shop and torture myself as much as I can. As Arnold once said, "I'll be back". If I have to, I will figure out how to adapt.

I know the feeling. I have back problems that are some what intermittent. I can usually stand about 3-4 hours in the shop before I need a break. I can go longer, and have, but when I do I really pay for it the next day.

Best of luck at the doctors.

I feel your pain Bill. I had to retire from my building day job due to shoulder issues and with a few years of less stressfull use has somewhat relieved the issue but I am carefull not to over use it now which is why I do stock removal rather than forge my blades. The fingers joints on my right hand can still be problematic if I am not carefull with the hold I use during some parts of the making process and even how I hold the steering wheel while driving but the addiction to knifemaking keeps me in the shed playing most days making a knife or two.

Take care of yourself sir. It isn't worth being in pain if you can't do what you love. A little time off is sometimes the best medicine.

I'm in a bit of a set back too in needing to amputate my wife last year and don't exactly have a shop right now. Hopefully by the end of the year. Damn life gets in the way sometimes. The good thing is that this hobby doesn't go anywhere and after over 2 years of not being able to make knives, I'm getting that call big time.

Prayers for you Bill! I've been battling this autoimmune thing for the past year....and it's FINALLY getting better. Felt so good today, that I placed a belt order with Tru-Grit! First time I've done that in almost a year. I piddled in the shop a bit yesterday, but after being so sick, with sick, with such a long layoff..... it was about 15mins up.....and then 20 sitting down. Gotta build up.

Glad you are on the mend Ed.
My visit to the doctor was pretty standard. Plenty of X-Rays that showed nothing. MRI being scheduled. Once the MRI and EMG is completed, they may have a better idea on what going on.

An update:
All testing and imaging completed. Good news.........no carpal tunnel. Bad news............bunch of other stuff. Numbness and tingling in the hands may be due to the pinched nerves in my neck. It was diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy. Tendonitis in my shoulder along with a slightly torn rotator cuff. It's torn enough to cause trouble but not enough for surgery. That's a good thing because I heard the recovery from cuff surgery is terrible. The PT afterward is even worse.
Meanwhile, I have been to 3 PT sessions and it seems to help. Getting back a bit of sensitivity in my hands and my range of motion in my shoulder has improved.
Have a great day!

An update:
All testing and imaging completed. Good news.........no carpal tunnel. Bad news............bunch of other stuff. Numbness and tingling in the hands may be due to the pinched nerves in my neck. It was diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy. Tendonitis in my shoulder along with a slightly torn rotator cuff. It's torn enough to cause trouble but not enough for surgery. That's a good thing because I heard the recovery from cuff surgery is terrible. The PT afterward is even worse.
Meanwhile, I have been to 3 PT sessions and it seems to help. Getting back a bit of sensitivity in my hands and my range of motion in my shoulder has improved.
Have a great day!
I have a couple of friends who have the same nerve problems (from jujitsu training). They swear by the neck stretching devices. I think they are called cervical traction devices. It may be worth a try.

I have neck and back problems myself. One thing that has helped me is an inversion table. You might check with your therapist and see if that would help you. Inversion tables are mostly for back problems, but it's helped my neck as well.

Two degenerated discs in my back. I can stand for maybe 45 minutes to an hour then my thighs catch on fire and eventually go numb though they still hurt when they do. I have made some adjustments such as grinding seated (which I still do not like) and I sit down when my steel is heating in the forge. Gone are the days of three irons in the fire.

Two degenerated discs in my back. I can stand for maybe 45 minutes to an hour then my thighs catch on fire and eventually go numb though they still hurt when they do. I have made some adjustments such as grinding seated (which I still do not like) and I sit down when my steel is heating in the forge. Gone are the days of three irons in the fire.
I know the feeling. I'm fortunate that I can still work for about 6 hours at a stretch, but then I really pay for it later. I'll intersperse standing and sitting til I get worn down.

Working 12 hour days in construction when I was younger was what really did my back in.

I know the feeling. I'm fortunate that I can still work for about 6 hours at a stretch, but then I really pay for it later. I'll intersperse standing and sitting til I get worn down.

Working 12 hour days in construction when I was younger was what really did my back in.
I had a cyst cut off of my back when I was 19 or 20 and they did it with an epidural. This was before they knew (or before they were telling) that epidurals can Cause disc issues.

Tendonitis stinks!! I had it in my right ankle area. At one point I had torn my Achilles Tendon the pain was very similar. I honestly thought I had torn the tendon again. Thank God it was Tendonitis, still was horrible though! And really they do very little for it go to PT. Best thing they did at PT for me was the electric zapper thing they would use at the end of the therapy session. That made my ankle feel much better after the therapy.

Back