Skinner with fancy filework

Cthulhu

5" SS blade, Red and Black Micarta slabs.

100_4295.jpg

100_4294.jpg

100_4297.jpg

100_4298.jpg

I like your blade design, it looks as though you spent considerable time and effort getting the shape and grind the way you want it. Overall it is a nice knife.
if you filled the file work area with colored epoxy (probably black) it would make an entirely different look. Spend a little extra time eliminating any scratch or mark you can find.
Take a look at production knives. Notice the way the handle is sculpted. Try not to leave too much material on the handle. You want the knife to look like it will be comfortable to handle. Then you want to go ahead and hold the knife and move it around in your hand. Your hand will feel areas that need to be smoothed or shaped.
The attention to the little things make the difference between a nice knife and a great knife.
I hope you dont mind my criticism, I mean it to help you.
If you love making knives, like I do, then you want to make the best one you can.

Thanks fpr the comments gang. LaGrange, full disclosure, it's a kit blade. At this stage of the game, I'm working with files, a dremel, and a Mouse hand sander at best.

So deep scratches in SS I'm kinda stuck with. I hand sand down to a 600 grit, then go to steel wool and green buffing compound (Also buffed by hand.) As I get more and better equipment to work with, (I should also mention those pics were from the last sanding but prior to polishing.) I expect to make better looking knives. This one was custom made for a particular fellow, and I shaped it to his favored grip. Guy has HUGE hands for someone who only stands 5'8".

I wanted to experiment with the file work process and see what it would look like working into the liner material, and I have to say it look great. To me anyways. I really love filework, and plan to do lots more of it. Very relaxing to me.

You need to get the video with Dwayne Duchane one of the best videos ive seen . His instruction to detail is awsome you would learn alot and its well worth the money. This is after watching the video twice and my first attempt at creeping vine with only hand files and sand paper.HPIM2488.jpgHPIM2486.jpg

Back