Singer Model 7-31 big fat sewing machine. Should I???

Chris Railey

I have a chance to land a Singer 7-31 a friend has in his father's old tack room. I know 7-31's are not optimal for leather but they will sew some thick leather nonetheless. For those who know, what would be an "I cannot let it go price for one like this". Pictures are of the actual machine. I know there are better machines for leather but I may be able to get it for the right price, I just need to know what that price is. There also appears to be no motor but the wheel spins freely.

IMG_1259.jpgIMG_1262.jpgIMG_1260.jpg

I know a couple of leatherworkers who own that very machine, and the love it, but theirs are in much better condition I have no idea what the going prices are on them. My first thought would be to check if you can get parts and consumables for it (like needles).

Last edited:
I don't have a clue to price or supplies, just found this one on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/402154893927? where they're asking $750, but it does have a motor. Not knowing anything about the machine stuck back in tack room for years - might be one of those "just haul it off" type of things? Something like that can really get into a real project trying to find parts, get old parts cleaned up. Motor is least of concerns - order a servo motor off Amazon (3/4 or 1hp) and you'll have plenty of power. I use one on a small drill press.

Here's a link from Leatherworker.net where they say the 7-31 is a great machine, but not for leather.

I don't have a clue to price or supplies, just found this one on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/402154893927? where they're asking $750, but it does have a motor. Not knowing anything about the machine stuck back in tack room for years - might be one of those "just haul it off" type of things? Something like that can really get into a real project trying to find parts, get old parts cleaned up. Motor is least of concerns - order a servo motor off Amazon (3/4 or 1hp) and you'll have plenty of power. I use one on a small drill press.

Here's a link from Leatherworker.net where they say the 7-31 is a great machine, but not for leather.
Yeah the price is gonna have to very low for me to chance it. I know next to nothing about sewing machines so I will be taking a chance. He really wants it gone so maybe it will work out. It looks like you can find parts easily enough but I know next to nothing about sewing machines, but then again, I knew next to nothing about forging ten years ago and look at me now. I know little more than next to nothing.

I’d offer him $50 (maybe $25) and drag it off. Cheap education if nothing else Chris - you will learn a lot and that is what this ol’ life is all about - “How much can ya learn & figger out!?”

Yeah it would have to be $100 or below for me to risk it. This particular friend is very old school much like me but he is in fact older. I do not want to insult him by a minuscule offer so I will have to think of something.

Back