Simple Tip For New Knifemakers

Randy Lucius

When gluing up scales sometimes you can get epoxy squeeze out in the wrong places. Even though you are being careful taping and cleaning. It happens. It can be stubborn to remove with acetone. I use a 1/8" brass pin to clean up these areas. Filed down but with a blunt edge. Works good. Do you have any simple tips that a new maker might not think about?

p0003e.jpg

P0001e.jpg

I finish the scales near the Ricaso mount the scales with the pins, wipe the front of scales and the Ricaso with a coat of Bowling Alley Wax on a Q-Tip let wax dry disassemble Epoxy scales Tang as always. Clamp it, let the squeeze out come out on the Ricaso. Wipe off the excess on the Body of the knife. LEAVE THE RICASO ALONE. When dry pop it off with an Xacto knife. Works GREAT!!

The ricaso to handle is one of the most likely prone areas to mess up IMHO. Since there is more than one way to skin a cat this is my process. I do not lay any epoxy in an area of about 1/8" on the tang or handle (scale front to mating area on tang). There will be epoxy squeeze out in that area without taking it to the edge. Once I clamp up I use que tips and alcohol to wipe the areas clean of any epoxy. I use a clean que tip each time (both ends) so it might take 8-9 swipes to get all the epoxy cleaned up. I put a light coating of oil on a que tip and wipe the front of the scales ricaso area. This works good for me, so take it for what it is.

...let wax dry disassemble Epoxy scales Tang as always
Could you help me understand this a bit better.
Also, is there something unique to Bowling Alley Wax for this purpose - or, could something like Johnson's Floor Wax be substituted?
Pretty clever method, I'd like to try this technique on the next knife.
Bob

Could you help me understand this a bit better.
Also, is there something unique to Bowling Alley Wax for this purpose - or, could something like Johnson's Floor Wax be substituted?
Pretty clever method, I'd like to try this technique on the next knife.
Bob
Anything in particular you want me to explain better? I'm sure the Johnsons would work fine! I use the Bowling alley Wax cause I have it.

Anything in particular you want me to explain better? I'm sure the Johnsons would work fine! I use the Bowling alley Wax cause I have it.
Yes, I guess I'm dense - this doesn't make sense to me: "...let wax dry disassemble Epoxy scales Tang as always."

Yes, I guess I'm dense - this doesn't make sense to me: "...let wax dry disassemble Epoxy scales Tang as always."
Your knife is all ready for scales! Superglue one of the scales on (just a couple drops to hold it) let dry, drill holes in scale from (tang side), trace outline of tang on the back of the scale. Next Superglue the other scale on (line it up, close is fine for now), drill holes using first set of holes as a guide. After the pin holes are drilled, knock both scales off and put them front side to front side (insert your pins so everything will line up). The tangs outline you traced will show, rough cut the scales but leave enough meat to finish grind scales to size (I use my HF Bandsaw on Swag table), next flatten the scales in preparation for Glue up. Finish the front of the scales as you would normally on a full tang knife. Put the scales on the knife as if you were epoxing them on including the pins. Clamp towards the front (I use a spring clamp), take a Q-Tip and smear the wax on the Ricaso and front of the scales on both sides. Disassemble and do your Glue up as you normally would but don't disturb the wax. As Opaul said dont go nuts with the Epoxy near the Ricaso! I mount this whole mess in a vice with the tip of knife pointing up so the epoxy won't run down the blade. When its dry take an Xacto knife and VERY CAREFULLY pry it under the epoxy an it should just snap off! I may try that brass rod trick next time! A bit long but if I missed anything just ask.

PS i buy the 10 packs of Gel Superglue from HF

Last edited:
Your knife is all ready for scales! Superglue one of the scales on (just a couple drops to hold it) let dry, drill holes in scale from (tang side), trace outline of tang on the back of the scale. Next Superglue the other scale on (line it up, close is fine for now), drill holes using first set of holes as a guide. After the pin holes are drilled, knock both scales off and put them front side to front side (insert your pins so everything will line up). The tangs outline you traced will show, rough cut the scales but leave enough meat to finish grind scales to size (I use my HF Bandsaw on Swag table), next flatten the scales in preparation for Glue up. Finish the front of the scales as you would normally on a full tang knife. Put the scales on the knife as if you were epoxing them on including the pins. Clamp towards the front (I use a spring clamp), take a Q-Tip and smear the wax on the Ricaso and front of the scales on both sides. Disassemble and do your Glue up as you normally would but don't disturb the wax. As Opaul said dont go nuts with the Epoxy near the Ricaso! I mount this whole mess in a vice with the tip of knife pointing up so the epoxy won't run down the blade. When its dry take an Xacto knife and VERY CAREFULLY pry it under the epoxy an it should just snap off! I may try that brass rod trick next time! A bit long but if I missed anything just ask.
Thank you, now I've got it. Your process is different than what I've done, but I'm going to this a try, I like it.
Thanks again, for you patients in explaining this, very helpful.
Bob

Thank you, now I've got it. Your process is different than what I've done, but I'm going to this a try, I like it.
Thanks again, for you patients in explaining this, very helpful.
Bob
Let me know how it works out for you! And if you figure out a way to streamline it!

Great idea! I plan to try this technique on my next knife.

Awesome. I normally wait until the epoxy is non-sticky and the sit with my brass chisel and remove the epoxy. It comes off pretty easy, but there is still residue. I'll try this on the next one. Thanks!!

1. Drill pin holes before heat treat

2. All surface sanding should be done prior to gluing the scales. After the scales are attached, nothing that can scratch the surface of the blade should be used. Randy's suggestion of the sharpened brass rod is a great idea.

3. Finish the fronts of your scales/bolsters/guards before you attach them

4. Sharpening is the last thing to be done

1. Drill pin holes before heat treat

2. All surface sanding should be done prior to gluing the scales. After the scales are attached, nothing that can scratch the surface of the blade should be used. Randy's suggestion of the sharpened brass rod is a great idea.

3. Finish the fronts of your scales/bolsters/guards before you attach them

4. Sharpening is the last thing to be done
Point 1 was the VERY first hard learned lesson I ran into when I started doing this, LOL!

Back