Simple 80mm EDC puukko and sheath

USNGMG2

Just completed this 80mm bird head EDC puukko and sheath. Blade: Lauri 80mm tool marks removed, polished to 800x and satin finished. Handle: English walnut, deer antler bolster with red fiber spacer and Danish oil finish rubbed out to 1000x. Sheath: Brown buffalo leather, plastic insert for the blade, fixed belt loop stitched in place.

Just completed this 80mm bird head EDC puukko and sheath. Blade: Lauri 80mm tool marks removed, polished to 800x and satin finished. Handle: English walnut, deer antler bolster with red fiber spacer and Danish oil finish rubbed out to 1000x. Sheath: Brown buffalo leather, plastic insert for the blade, fixed belt loop stitched in place.

Absolutely stunning! I’d love to learn more about making these

Thanks for your generous comment. My puukko education began with the Nordiska Knivar web site, https://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/
and you tube videos. Looking up the work of the Finnish, Polish and Croatian master craftsmen has added benefit of viewing and learning from their work. Also, don't forget other forums. All have sections for puukkos.

Thanks for your generous comment. My puukko education began with the Nordiska Knivar web site, https://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/
and you tube videos. Looking up the work of the Finnish, Polish and Croatian master craftsmen has added benefit of viewing and learning from their work. Also, don't forget other forums. All have sections for puukkos.
Wonderful workmanship, very nice! And, thank you for the Puko, web link, there are some really interesting Puko examples and bios of the makers.
Question: could you tell us about the plastic blade insert in the sheath? I have no idea how that's done. Photos perhaps?

Thank you MTBob, for your comments. I use LAURI-INSERT-110x24; for blades up to about 4 3/8" (110 mm) long, and about 15/16" (24 mm) wide.
(I also make traditional wooden inserts for some of my puukko projects) I trimmed this insert down to about 83mm which worked out just right for the 80mm blade.

I use LAURI-INSERT-110x24; for blades
Interesting. I don't know much about the use of blade inserts, tell me more. I Googled the Lauri-Insert (Ragweed Forge) and see what they look like. But, what's the advantage / disadvantage of using them? Are they only used on Puko's, if so, why? It also looks like there are half-inserts that protect only one side of the blade... - why? Do you happen to have any photos of how you make the sheath to enclose the plastic insert?

Interesting. I don't know much about the use of blade inserts, tell me more. I Googled the Lauri-Insert (Ragweed Forge) and see what they look like. But, what's the advantage / disadvantage of using them? Are they only used on Puko's, if so, why? It also looks like there are half-inserts that protect only one side of the blade... - why? Do you happen to have any photos of how you make the sheath to enclose the plastic insert?
When I, and this is my personal method, make a sheath for any carbon steel puukko, I use an insert to protect the blade from rusting and protect the sheath. I use the same method for stainless although I am not protecting against rust. For traditional back sewn puukko sheaths I use wooden or plastic inserts. I have never used half inserts. When I use an insert whether wood or plastic, I use the same method as shown in the videos. The cased leather holds the insert tightly. I double urethane seal all wooden inserts.
Check the you tube videos.

Last edited:
Back