Show off and talk about your Flat/convex grinds here!

I only do flat grinds. I don't have a wheel on my grinder yet. I may get one in the future.

Tut4037.jpg

knivesandkiddo037.jpg

Flat grinds seem to work just fine.

flats

...why not....

hard to beat a good flat grind for cuttin and slicin...

Attachments

• Budknife 006.jpg
    Budknife 006.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Capers 001.jpg
    Capers 001.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 13
  • Hidden tangs 004.jpg
    Hidden tangs 004.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 14
  • kives09 001.jpg
    kives09 001.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Knives 1-09 003.jpg
    Knives 1-09 003.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 14
I only do flat grinds. I don't have a wheel on my grinder yet. I may get one in the future.

Tut4037.jpg

knivesandkiddo037.jpg

Flat grinds seem to work just fine.
YES they sure do!

Nice and smooth. . .

Looks to me like you are doing great at flat grinding, so going by the KISS principal if it ain't broke, don't fix it! lol :D2thumbscool 1

Thanks for posting those pics!

I gota say, Flat grinds ROCK, but I really like a convex grind.. Because I dont have a flat platon, Im sorta bias! lol

All the knives posted look amazing, There are some real talented makers on this forum!

Keep your edge sharp and the sparks flyin!

I gota say, Flat grinds ROCK, but I really like a convex grind.. Because I don't have a flat platen, I'm sorta bias! lol

All the knives posted look amazing, There are some real talented makers on this forum!

Keep your edge sharp and the sparks flyin!

I prefer them both, Flat & convex grinds are great in my book!:D

hello there

Ah . . BTW . . HHH, do you just Happen to know any 1 whom you (could Con-VEX, *cough* er . . ahem . . ah . . I mean) could maybe convince to do a How to do Convex grinds/WIP Combo Tutorial for the Noo B's over in the Tutorial section HMMMMM . . pretty please ? winner2
tugit:beg:

Last edited:
all my japanese style knives get flat grinds. this is my BullGod XL with a full flat grind. i haven't done a hollow grind in years actually.

liontribe

BullgodXL002.jpg

all my japanese style knives get flat grinds. this is my BullGod XL with a full flat grind. i haven't done a hollow grind in years actually.

liontribe

BullgodXL002.jpg

:D

Well! . . Lo and behold!
The point is straight forward on this piece . . .
as in straight to the point!
Nice job I like it can you give us the spec.'s on this 1, and tell us about the patina you put on there?

Thank you for posting!

glad you like it N.D., i made a batch of four and that was my last one. it is 1095 and 3/16" at the ricasso. the finish is an acid pattern that is fast becoming my signature finish, you might say. it gets requested much more often than any other. it is puttied ferric and white vinegar. i use solid ferric chloride and soften it to a paste with white vinegar. i get the blade super clean and just apply with my finger. simple and it comes out well. when i use W2 it is very striking. it is almost 3D when the light plays on it. i love W2!! the handle is black wrap over burgundy alligator leather. my wife actually came up with the handle combo. and it is available in the For Sale area, hint, hint. :D i am really digging the japanese style designs right now. here is the prototype i made in W2.

Kwaiken007.jpg

liontribe

Last edited:
Re: Thanks/missing pics/my absence

Great job liontribe,very handsome knife, thanks lots!

On another note has anyone else noticed the pics liontribe posted missing, I can't see them for some reason?

Also I have not abandoned this site nor my threads although I have been absent for a while, due to some technical difficulties, beyond my control hopefully they are solved for a while but if not, you'll know the reason for my absence.:eek:

luvsite1

HHH Chef knife

Hey good to see your back! working 1

Heres one I just finished up.. Its a 1095 chef knife with G10 handles. 2thumbs

great thread! I love seeing these grinds!

Attachments

• hhh chef knife 027.jpg
    hhh chef knife 027.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 15
  • hhh chef knife 032.jpg
    hhh chef knife 032.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 8
That is 1 sweet lookin rocker blade HHH! :D

It's good to be back, and hopefully it'll be for a while!
But if not, just know that this is my fav forum so I'll be back as soon as I can! :bud:

Here is a little nessie I make a while back. 5160, convex, tapered tang.

aaaaa.jpg

nessie7.jpg

I have moved to Texas now. I made this when I lived in Washington. I need to make some more.
nessie2.jpg

nessie5.jpg

Max:
Very nice work, I like to see knives like that, clean lines, simple form, very effective cutter very well done.

Did you forge and finish grind or completely grind it from bar stock?

Thank you for posting!

Last edited:
Ground from bar stock.
2thumbs

can you tell us, "what if anything" out of the ordinary you did on the blade spine, it looks to me like it might have a sharpened or wedged area, on it, sorry but I couldn't quite make it out in the photo.

I just leaned into the belt really heavy kinda flat with the blade so that the grind went all the way up. If you look at the picture of the blank you can see that it makes that rounded effect, sometimes you get a shark tooth effect depending on belt tention and pressure. When I tappered the tang it took on a rounded look at the beginning of the handle.

aaaaa.jpg

nessie10.jpg

Oh OK thanks for the info.
Well a boat tail blade spine reduces drag in the cut anyway right? :D

Back