Shopping for a Hardness Tester...looking for feedback...

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
We are at a point where we need to have a bench hardness tester in the shop. We have an Ames C portable clamp type which works fine but we need the whole process to be a little quicker than working with the C type portable.

I am thinking technology must have advanced enough to replace or at least be competitive with the traditional surface dimple measurement type we normally use.

Does anyone have any experience with this one or similar version?:

http://leebhardnesstesters.com/THX281-Hardness-tester.aspx?gclid=CIDL0JPB7bUCFexaMgodc1QAmQ

Any other suggestions?

well, I can answer this myself now.

This seller answered my email right away and said this type of tester is not appropriate for a knife. They suggested an Ultrasonic tester. They are getting some in but don't have them listed for sale yet. They told me they start at around $4500 :what!: but they will list one soon for $1700 :les:

I'm sure in the big shop commercial industrial world, that is a great price. For us knife guys, we will have to keep looking I think.

Tracy, I wouldn't trust any hand held device to test Rc hardness, particularly for a workpiece as small as a knife. Maybe if the piece to be tested weighed several hundred pounds and couldn't be moved.

Stick to the old reliable bench hardness tester.

Tracy,
I only have experience with the Enco bench model hardness tester and am very happy with it.

I bought my bench model from Enco and like it allot. It was on sale and free shipping cost about $800
Seems very consistent if the temp in the shop is constant.
At that price its of coarse an Import but I couldn't find a Wilson for that price that wasn't beat up or had parts gone. I checked eBay for about 6 months with no luck in my price range.

Last edited:
Every time I look around for a bench Rc hardness tester, I feel really poor. You can expect to pay a pretty penny for a decent one, Tracy. But everyone that has one seems to be glad they did.

After spending some time shopping around, I see the Enco one is probably the way to go for me. I will wait for a sale to come along and more than like get that one.

Wholesale Tools in my area has one for $799. They have stores across the U.S. Not sure if they're near you or not, but it may pay to check 'em out. Never used one but as soon as I have the extra cash saved up, I'll be bringing that bad boy home!

Back