Shop Pets

52 Ford

Anyone else here have shop pets? Mine are seasonal. I get spiders about 1" bigger than the one in this picture inside the shop and I have a pair of wrens that nest above the forge at night. :D you're not afraid of spiders, right?20220422_200217.jpg

Where in the hell do you live ? Up here in the mountains we have tarantula and black widows and brown recluse and all kinds of garden spiders. We also have rattle snakes and all kind of forest critters. Needless to say , "don't pick up the critters"

Where in the hell do you live ? Up here in the mountains we have tarantula and black widows and brown recluse and all kinds of garden spiders. We also have rattle snakes and all kind of forest critters. Needless to say , "don't pick up the critters"
Virginia. :) Those dudes get around 3-1/2 or 4 inches across. Never been bit by one. The smaller ones are wolf spiders. The bigger ones I think are fishing spiders.

They don't build big webs (or any web at all?) I USED to be afraid of spiders when I was younger. I don't think I'd be able to function out there if I was. I keep smaller pieces of steel in 5 gallon buckets. More than once, I've reached in and found a big spider. They just move out of the way.

Snakes are another story. I don't tend to pick up the snakes - mainly cause they STINK. Biggest copperhead I've ever seen was underneath my workbench out there 2 or 3 years ago. I try to keep a couple black snakes around. They tend to keep copperheads away and they eat mice.

I was in my shop at a workbench and heard a "thud" behind me. It was a mouse that dove off of a 6 foot tall metal cabinet. I was looking at the mouse, then see about a 5 foot blacksnake slowly lowering himself off the side of the cabinet :D

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Not exactly pets, but we get mice in our garage/shop. We let one of our cats, Tiger, out in the garage to keep them under control.

There's a few spiders here and there. Mostly wolf spiders. Possibly some black widows. So I always wear gloves if I digging for something.

Mosquitoes. :(
I hear ya. I live in the woods with a lot of water maybe 100 yards off the back of the shop. They get HUGE here. Biggest one I've seen was heavy enough I could actually feel it land on me and it hurt when it bit.

Come to think of it, not only the biggest mosquito I've ever seen was in my shop, but same with bees. The biggest hornet I've ever seen in my entire life was in my shop. I opened the door, walked in, let the door slam (have a spring to close it), and here comes a GIANT hornet from behind my toolbox. I swear to you it was at least 2" long if I'm being realistic. Maybe longer. Mostly black like a wasp, but with some white on it. HOLY CRAP. I'll be honest, I ran. I'm not afraid of bees or even wasp and hornets (within reason), but that dude was big enough that I didn't return till I had a fresh can of carburetor cleaner.

Maybe it was a queen hornet?

Probably one of those new-fangled murder hornets. I have mosquitoes, they aren’t as big but make up for that with numbers. A few cat faced spiders, I leave them alone, they leave me alone. And of course, a giant cat named Thor. Thor was the Norse god of thunder, which makes him a thunder cat……I know, my brain works weird sometimes:)

Come to think of it, not only the biggest mosquito I've ever seen was in my shop, but same with bees. The biggest hornet I've ever seen in my entire life was in my shop. I opened the door, walked in, let the door slam (have a spring to close it), and here comes a GIANT hornet from behind my toolbox. I swear to you it was at least 2" long if I'm being realistic. Maybe longer. Mostly black like a wasp, but with some white on it. HOLY CRAP. I'll be honest, I ran. I'm not afraid of bees or even wasp and hornets (within reason), but that dude was big enough that I didn't return till I had a fresh can of carburetor cleaner.

Maybe it was a queen hornet?

Look up bald faced wasp or hornet. Evil Empire Storm Trooper face with a yellowjacket-on-steroids mentality.

NOPE

NOPE

WHY WERE YOUR HANDS NEAR THERE AT ALL

i found one in my ear muff protection once and i screamed like a little girl
LOL

I do actually check my ear pro every time I pick them up. I've also heard of people putting on welding gloves and getting bit by spiders, so like to "wring" my gloves (like you do to get water out of a wet towel) before I put them on.

I remember I had a coffee cup sitting on a workbench from the day before or whatever. Either way, I leaned over to see if it had anything in it. I was going to take it inside. Big ol spider like the one in the picture just spread out across the bottom of the cup. Guess they like coffee? :)

LOL

I do actually check my ear pro every time I pick them up. I've also heard of people putting on welding gloves and getting bit by spiders, so like to "wring" my gloves (like you do to get water out of a wet towel) before I put them on.

I remember I had a coffee cup sitting on a workbench from the day before or whatever. Either way, I leaned over to see if it had anything in it. I was going to take it inside. Big ol spider like the one in the picture just spread out across the bottom of the cup. Guess they like coffee? :)

I randomly looked into an old coffee cup as well, but it had coffee in it. No kidding, there was a huge spider just submerging into the liquid and I swear its legs extended as it dove to the bottom of the cup. It disappeared within a second and the coffee looked good to go. Imagine drinking that?

Here on the in the northeast we have our own unique spiders:

I randomly looked into an old coffee cup as well, but it had coffee in it. No kidding, there was a huge spider just submerging into the liquid and I swear its legs extended as it dove to the bottom of the cup. It disappeared within a second and the coffee looked good to go. Imagine drinking that?

Here on the in the northeast we have our own unique spiders:

You also have companies making THC coffee.

What a time to be alive. :D

Back