Shop Music Thread- what are you listening to today?

I'd enjoy a day or twenty of John Prine...one of my favorite CDs is my John Prine Live cd a buddy gave me after grad school....

Mostly what I listen to in the shop is our local public radio classical station (I hate commercials). On Saturdays mornings, I go to our local community radio that broadcasts 3 hours of folk music followed by 2 hours of Grateful Dead and friends....

Last edited:
I use Spotify and have a weird mashup of a playlist i listen too. Need to add some more tunes it’s been awhile since I’ve added any. Occasional podcast but generally I don’t particularly enjoy them. Have a look if you want!

Thanks for mentioning John Prine, Mr Doyle! I just had a great hour listening to him live at Austin City Limits 2005 on Youtube.

Glad to!

I was on a long solo road trip once, probably around 1999, and was just scanning the radio and I caught a song on a late night NPR show that just hooked me to my core. Didn't know who it was or what the song name was. It took me months to track it down but it was 'Souvenirs' by John Prine. I burned it onto a CD and listened to every Prine song I could find from there on.

The digital age ain't good for much, but it sure made finding old and new music easy.

Turn It Up Loud and let'er rip. A few good old country classics:
Montana State Anthem- Merle Haggard, Big City
Ian Tyson - good - old - country - THE BEST - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIyUeDP522eY0cNZNvuzvy5rHDBfiHIB6
Dwight Yoakam - Guitars Cadillacs -

And for those of us who lived through the Vietnam era, one of many songs to reflect on those dark days
CCR Fortunate Son -

And for our contemporary wars
Jack Savoretti - Soldiers Eyes

Plus an endless listing of Pandora stations from classic country to light jazz

Been binge listening to a lot of Brad Paisley’s guitar instrumentals cause I’d love to be able to play at least a little like that one day. Also listen to a lot of podcasts like Ed Mylett, The Art of Manliness, The Way I heard it with Mike Rowe, EntreLeadership, and Knifetalk among others. Music is usually CCM stations on the radio or on Pandora.

Up until noon I listen to contemporary Christian, KLOVE that ED mentioned earlier is a good one and or The Message on XM. After noon its normally 70’s and 80’s rock. Sirus XM classic rewind.

Turn It Up Loud and let'er rip. A few good old country classics:
Montana State Anthem- Merle Haggard, Big City
Ian Tyson - good - old - country - THE BEST - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIyUeDP522eY0cNZNvuzvy5rHDBfiHIB6
Dwight Yoakam - Guitars Cadillacs -

And for those of us who lived through the Vietnam era, one of many songs to reflect on those dark days
CCR Fortunate Son -

And for our contemporary wars
Jack Savoretti - Soldiers Eyes

Plus an endless listing of Pandora stations from classic country to light jazz
Can’t go wrong with CCR

I listen to ZZ Top, Dire Straits, AC/DC. Clapton.
My 3M worktunes headset is awesome.

Man I love dire straits. Mark Knopfler is one of THE best guitar players of all time. And VERY under rated. Usually left off most "Best of/Top" lists. But he's far more talented than most.

Sultans of swing is one of my all time favorite songs. And the classic, unmistakable opening riff to 'Money For Nothing' is my ringtone on my phone.

Man I love dire straits. Mark Knopfler is one of THE best guitar players of all time. And VERY under rated. Usually left off most "Best of/Top" lists. But he's far more talented than most.

Sultans of swing is one of my all time favorite songs. And the classic, unmistakable opening riff to 'Money For Nothing' is my ringtone on my phone.
Have you heard the recording he did with Chet Atkins, "Neck and Neck"? Worth checking out if you're a Knopfler fan.

I vary greatly depending on what I'm doing. For shaping and grinding it's Old style country.....Tyler Childers, Cody Jinks, Jamey Johnson. Hank Sr & Jr, Cash, Jennings, etc. For hand sanding - metal works for me. Pantera or Godsmack radio on Spotify. Here's the switch for quenching and heat treating - country gospel playlist on Spotify.

Now that I've mastered YouTube because of doc imposed quarantine....lol....i find new gems all the time. Mandolin Orange is a recent "find'

Mandolin Orange(wake Me, Golden Embers), Pink Floyd, Townes Van Zandt( anything of his...lol. but "Techumseh Valley" is amazing, John Prine(anything by him but "hello in there" is amazing, Tedeshci Trucks( I believe Susan tedeschi sing better'n Bonnie rait and I'm a BR fan...give "Midnight in Harlem" a whirl. Her husband DerekTrucks is Allman brother's drummer, Butch Trucks, nephew. he played with them on and off as a kid and joined Allman Brothers when he was 19. Amazing slide guitar!) John Hiatt (speaking of slide guitar Ry Cooder plays slide on the song "Lipstick Sunset" on the "bring the family" album. "have a little faith in me" is also a good song. I notice folk seem to love hiatt's voice or hate it...lol.
Eagles, Jackson Browne(older the better) Merle Haqggard,Bobby Bare, Dr Hook and the medicine show( Love "Sylvia's Mother"a true story written by Shel Silverstein "Cover of the Rolling Stone" also written by Shel S.) The Petersens (the girls all harmonize amazing and the only non family member Emmet Franz is a good vocalist and great on the dobro or national) Hayde Bluegrass Orchestra (their version of "Wayfaring stranger" may be better'n Johnny Cash's) Johnny Cash ( Hurt written by Trent Reznor of 9 inch nails is real good. Someone told me it was his last recorded song?) Supertramp, Beatles, Johnny winter, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carpenters,Lake Street Dive (Rachel Price...what a voice "what I'm doing here" video...she owns that mic! some of their stuff I don't care for) Teddy Swims( his cover of "I can't make you love me" will give ya goosebumps, I like his cover of "Tenessee Whiskey" better than Stapeltons...marginally...lol. His cover of Marvin Gaye's "What's going on" is top shelf. Bad Co., linda Ronstadt, Fleetwood Mac,Kansas, Lynard Skynardd, Marshall Tucker Band, Crosby Stills and Nash, Buffalo Springfield(duh) Byrds, Neil Young, Abba...(in smaller doses)

Okay...better get back to it...

Now that I've mastered YouTube because of doc imposed quarantine....lol....i find new gems all the time. Mandolin Orange is a recent "find'

Mandolin Orange(wake Me, Golden Embers), Pink Floyd, Townes Van Zandt( anything of his...lol. but "Techumseh Valley" is amazing, John Prine(anything by him but "hello in there" is amazing, Tedeshci Trucks( I believe Susan tedeschi sing better'n Bonnie rait and I'm a BR fan...give "Midnight in Harlem" a whirl. Her husband DerekTrucks is Allman brother's drummer, Butch Trucks, nephew. he played with them on and off as a kid and joined Allman Brothers when he was 19. Amazing slide guitar!) John Hiatt (speaking of slide guitar Ry Cooder plays slide on the song "Lipstick Sunset" on the "bring the family" album. "have a little faith in me" is also a good song. I notice folk seem to love hiatt's voice or hate it...lol.
Eagles, Jackson Browne(older the better) Merle Haqggard,Bobby Bare, Dr Hook and the medicine show( Love "Sylvia's Mother"a true story written by Shel Silverstein "Cover of the Rolling Stone" also written by Shel S.) The Petersens (the girls all harmonize amazing and the only non family member Emmet Franz is a good vocalist and great on the dobro or national) Hayde Bluegrass Orchestra (their version of "Wayfaring stranger" may be better'n Johnny Cash's) Johnny Cash ( Hurt written by Trent Reznor of 9 inch nails is real good. Someone told me it was his last recorded song?) Supertramp, Beatles, Johnny winter, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carpenters,Lake Street Dive (Rachel Price...what a voice "what I'm doing here" video...she owns that mic! some of their stuff I don't care for) Teddy Swims( his cover of "I can't make you love me" will give ya goosebumps, I like his cover of "Tenessee Whiskey" better than Stapeltons...marginally...lol. His cover of Marvin Gaye's "What's going on" is top shelf. Bad Co., linda Ronstadt, Fleetwood Mac,Kansas, Lynard Skynardd, Marshall Tucker Band, Crosby Stills and Nash, Buffalo Springfield(duh) Byrds, Neil Young, Abba...(in smaller doses)

I discovered mandolin orange a couple years ago. Great Americana/folk/bluegrass band. Love their stuff.

You got a bunch of other cool stuff listed there too.

I like and listen to a fairly wide variety of music.

But my hands down favorite thing to listen to is bluegrass. And if you made me pick a favorite artist, with careful consideration, I'd probably have to pick Norman Blake.

I think I'd be hard pressed to think of a better folk/Americana/bluegrass picker and story teller than Norman Blake. He has a smoothness and fluidity to his playing that he pairs with accuracy and precision, often at breakneck speed.

So today I'm listening to my extensive collection of Norman Blake.

Any other bluegrass fans here?

Back