Shipping for steel

Alden Cole

Hello all, I need to get some more steel, and have been looking at NJ steel barons supply. They have the steels I want in the size I want. Problem is, I don't want to buy a ton of steel, and shipping is expensive when you only buy a couple bars. If you made less than a dozen knives per year would you buy 8 feet of steel? Shipping is around thirty dollars and the steel around fifty dollars. Is this a good price, should I find a different source for steel, or should I buy more to offset the shipping cost? Thank you!

Alpha knife put 11.5 inch bars in a priority envelope for me. (Not sure, but I think it was a flat rate envelope). I haven't bought steel from usaknifemaker yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to ask them if I were to.

Part of the shipping cost is distance. So depending on where you are at, it might make sense to go with the closest reputable steel supplier. I ordered several bars of steel from the NJ Steel Baron. However since he's obviously in New Jersey and I'm in Utah the cost was about the same as you mentioned. Where as from a shipping point of view I will most likely get my steel next time from Alpha Knife supply who are in Utah.

Nothing against the steel from the Baron...just economics

Another way of looking at buying bulk quantities, you can dial in your heat treat on that steel. If it's a steel you see yourself using for sometime, it will give you peace of mind knowing that your heat treat is good. Wether it's heat treated tomorrow, or 10 years from now.

All of this is good info. I'm thinking that, because of distance and the low quantity of steel I want to purchase, maybe NJ steel baron is not the way to go. At the moment, I've been looking at Kelly Cupples steel as it is pretty close. Ty, that sounds like a good idea, and I have been sticking with 1080, and looking at 1075. Thanks everyone.

Wherever you buy steel from, I would INSIST on somewhere that can provide you with CERTS and heat numbers........actual certs and not some printed sheet from the suppliers shop that can be printed to say whatever they want.

Why? Because its extremely frustrating, time consuming and expensive to make knives from steel you think is one thing but its actually something entirely different or behaves in a way that it shouldn't.

This is a current issue in our craft and I suspect it will only get worse before (if) it gets better.

Wherever you buy steel from, I would INSIST on somewhere that can provide you with CERTS and heat numbers........actual certs and not some printed sheet from the suppliers shop that can be printed to say whatever they want.

Why? Because its extremely frustrating, time consuming and expensive to make knives from steel you think is one thing but its actually something entirely different or behaves in a way that it shouldn't.

This is a current issue in our craft and I suspect it will only get worse before (if) it gets better.

I gave false information everyone. I apologize.

Last edited:
That is why I only order from the Steel Baron. I ordered once from alpha knife supply (Just wanted to try a small piece of stainless) no complaints. I just feel more comfortable going with NJSB. Feel like you get about the highest quality steel that way.

I've yet to see Aldo produce any actual certs and/or heat numbers with his steel. A few years back, I did see a few printed 'steel chemistry' sheets that were printed in his shop shipped with orders.........not AT ALL the same thing as certs/heat numbers.

Admiral steel, Niagara specialty metals, Crucible for sure can provide actual specific certs and heat numbers for the actual bar of steel you are using. They aren't guesses, they aren't "should be's" or "supposed to be's"........they're actual traceable facts about the steel you're using.

That is extremely valuable to the user. Increasingly more so if you have a problem with a bar of steel.

I do apologize for the false information everyone. I could’ve sworn he had the spec sheets for it. I really do apologize for the false information everyone.

I have labored over finding good shipping prices on steel. I normally order from USAKNIFEMAKER and not just because Boss runs this site but because that is where I have found the best prices on shipping. Boss is always reasonable on shipping prices. I have not ordered from Admiral so I cannot comment on how their prices compare to Boss's. I will not post the worst shipping culprits because Boss would not want me to...

I do apologize for the false information everyone. I could’ve sworn he had the spec sheets for it. I really do apologize for the false information everyone.
I have ordered from Aldo and he does provide the “chemistry” or recepie for the steel but what John is talking about is a different animal. Its sort of like a verifiable guarentee that this steel is this type and should be treated this way. I think you just confused the two.

With regard to Johns response, I think some clarification might be in order. You won't get typical steel certifications from NJSB, simple because that outfit has all of its steel custom made at a plant in Germany. The way Aldo explained it to me is.... he orders to his specs/recipes, he gets a finished sample, and has it tested TWICE, (each time by a different lab) to ensure the makeup is as ordered. If it is, everything is fine, if it's not, he rejects the batch/run. If you pay close attention to NJSB website, there are slight changes to the "specs" of each steel as new batches come in (the makeup listed on the page of each steel). Most of the time the changes are tiny.... most times it's .00XX or less. And those numbers are derived from the tests they perform. What that means it that the listed makeup on their website is essentially a "spec sheet" for that given run/batch of the specific steel.

When it comes to actual "certifications" which are basically a guarantee of content/quality, there are very few that can/will provide that....and if they do, expect to pay a premium for it.

What most don't realize is that right now, "GOOD" steel (meaning tight tolerance/is what's it's advertised to be) is more difficult to obtain than any other time in my 30+ year career.

I agree with Niagra, Crucible, and would add Specialty Metals LLC (that's the folks who used to own/operate Crubilbe before it went under) and Kelly Cupples.
Personally, I've had far too many bad experiences with Admiral to recommend them.... I'll leave that one at that.

There are only three places I will purchase steel...... NJSB, Specialty Metals, and Kelly Cupples. Those are the sellers that I have come to trust, and after being burned, any other sources would have to prove themselves to me before I'd trust them. Each maker will have their own list of trusted sources....based on their own experiences. If you're new, it's just part of the game..... finding those sources that YOU trust.

My advice about buying steel is..... When you find a trustworthy source for what you want....buy as much of it as you can possibly afford. It's not going to get any cheaper, you may not be able to find/buy it later, shipping will be offset when buying in quantity, and it's not going to go bad on the shelf.

Some info on Certs, or MTR's (mill test reports). As far as I know all steel is tested as it comes of the rolling mill, or in the VAT. Steel is a commodities market and rather cut throat, it is not uncommon for suppliers to print their own mtr without the header from the mill. Why would they do that? What would stop someone from contacting the same mill to buy larger quantities and under cut you in pricing?

On a different topic, how do you order steel from Kelly Cupples? I'll be going by his place pretty soon, so is it a place I could just swing by? It says on the website and emails that you can order with a business check, personal check, or money order. Do I just send him money in an envelope or what?! Anyone who has placed an order would be a help here. Thanks everyone.

I've always just emailed him and told him what I want. He ships it with an invoice and then I mail him a check once I get the package and invoice.

Back