Shipping Container Shop needs Ventilation - Thoughts?

All-I am new and have acquired a variety of items to get started in my blacksmithing/bladesmithing adventure. I'm planning on putting my shop in a 10x20 Shipping Container and I need to put in ventilation/exhaust. I'll have both a coal and a gas forge. Does anyone know what I would need to put in for exhaust fans and ventilation? Has anyone used a shipping container as a shop before? Any and all advice/guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks

B

Shipping containers are wonderful for a lot of purposes! I own one that I use for storage, and you simply can't find a better dollar per square footage value. Now, the down sides are..... unless you do a lot of work and insulate it, it's gona be COLD in the winter, and smokin hot during the summer. I would assume if you're gona use it for a shop, then you're gona wire it with electricity?

Does it have doors at both ends? They come with doors on only one end....or doors on both ends. If you have door on both ends, you can likely get by in the summer with having both ends open, and a large fan at one end: https://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Air-Ind...ocphy=9021218&hvtargid=pla-662966564602&psc=1 With a fan like this, it's often more effective to have it drawing air outward at one end (which means it's sucking in fresh air at the other end, and pulling it through the container/shop.

If only one end opens, I would suggest the following "gable" fan(s). I have a 20 x 48" blacksmith shop (steel building/insulated) with one of these mounted in each end wall...draw air outward..... turning both on, and opening my 10 x10' overhead door keep it comfortable, even on hot days.
https://www.amazon.com/Iliving-ILG8...ocphy=9021218&hvtargid=pla-272507565502&psc=1

One of the biggest drawbacks of using a shipping container as a "hot shop", is that they usually have a plywood type floor.....that if full of chemicals, and burns/combusts very easily......so you either gotta be full time attention on that.....or lay down something like horsestall matt to protect it (and warn you...by smelling the burning rubber.)

Last edited:
This is what I use. One side has four doors and can open 1,2,3 or all 4 doors. One end opens also.
It is wired for electric and variable LED lights.
Ventilation is opening doors.
I will tell you condensation and resulting rust is something to watch for. I have to spray the anvils and some other steel items down with oil occasionally. The temperature fluctuations will cause condensation but it’s easy to manage.

These are generally one use containers and will likely be in nearly new condition.

11DA15DA-9DCE-4DD2-8598-FAACC59FC7F9.jpeg
213CDF9F-C60C-45AC-8EDC-74B25F1338D1.jpeg

51AA7E86-F3F0-405C-BEE9-73BE18CADDF2.jpeg

I would use a gable fan like Ed suggests with a non powered louver and another non powered intake louver on the other end from the fan. Another thing to consider would be a Humidistat if you are worried about moisture. You would be able to set the Humidistat for the humidity level you wanted and the fan would cycle while you were not there. Keeping the air exchanged would help prevent moisture build up, unless you live in a Rain Forest then your kinda in trouble!!

This is what I use. One side has four doors and can open 1,2,3 or all 4 doors. One end opens also.
It is wired for electric and variable LED lights.
Ventilation is opening doors.
I will tell you condensation and resulting rust is something to watch for. I have to spray the anvils and some other steel items down with oil occasionally. The temperature fluctuations will cause condensation but it’s easy to manage.

These are generally one use containers and will likely be in nearly new condition.

View attachment 69796
View attachment 69797

View attachment 69798
Nice looking container. Did you get locally in MN? If so, where? Thanks.

Kinda local. 60 miles out I think. Many/Most container places have them.

THAT is the one to have! (Tracy's) I had no idea they were available with the side doors.... that would be super useful!! When I ordered mine, I was offered a 20' with doors on one end for $2,200, or doors on both ends for $2,700. Wish I'd know they came in that super deluxe version! :)

We have a business here called "Stoopid Tuff" containers and homes..... they have 4 trucks that run around the clock to the Seattle waterfront picking up and delivering 20 and 40 footers back to Montana. The rest of them spend their time actually building dwellings out of the containers or just placing them for storage....everything from below ground "bunker" type setups, to 3 & 4 story tall structures in remote wilderness locations.

Back