Sheepsfoot utility

Travis Fry

I forgot to to post this one here a while back.

Like most of us, I try to make all of my knives ready for hard use but suitable for a display case. Usually they vary a little toward one end of that spectrum or the other, but this one strikes a nice balance. The blade is hollow ground 3/16” 1095 with false edge on the spine, a nice hamon (I haven’t mastered hamon photography, but it’s there), some pretty dramatic redwood burl that somewhat matches the hamon pattern, and stainless hardware.

OAL: 8.5 inches
Blade: 4.5 inches
Handle: Redwood Burl
Steel: 1095

110-1-of-5.jpg

Last edited:
That's a very practical looking knife. Great finish, too. Nice and pointy, and I definitely agree with the hamon issue. I find that to show any differential it helps to shoot in a little lower light than a person would otherwise.

A very pleasing knife to look at. I like the wood and the finish. Well made, clean and crisp. A knife to be proud of!

I really like the way you contured the handle up front by the first pin . It looks like its nice and thin up there in the front. I also love the wood .. Really nice work !

Thanks PabloZ,
Taz,
If you look at this chart that Pablo linked to what you have is much closer to modified clip or Drop point than the Sheepfoot, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade

"(9) A sheepsfoot blade has a straight edge and a straight dull back that curves towards the edge at the end. It gives the most control, because the dull back edge is made to be held by fingers. Sheepsfoot blades were originally made to trim the hooves of sheep. Their shape bears no similarity to the foot of a sheep."

A Sheppard's knife or Sheepsfoot which has half round nose because it's made for draw, shaving or scraping cuts and isn't intended for any kind of puncturing nor is there is a swedge so it can be grasped anywhere on the spine for controlled down & draw cuts, nor is there a belly in the front 1/3rd of the blade.

The reason I am going through all this clarification is that the "Sheepsfoot" and No 10 A "Wharnicliffe" are two blades I studied and made quite a few of in my first years of knife making while researching working knives for other than hunting, fighting or culinary.

Also just for the record Wiki can be a poor source of correct info at times, but is correct in these definition's of blade patterns.

I'm not here to bust anyone's chops it just that we have many new makers and we share a important common terminology.

Cheers!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Point taken. I suppose this is really a spey blade by shape, but you'd never see a spey type blade this large. I think from now on I'll just call it a knife.

Travis,

You have created a beauty here. It's crisp, clean, and very well executed. Your handle design seems like it would be an excellent all day user.

Excellent craftsmanship!

Point taken. I suppose this is really a spey blade by shape, but you'd never see a spey type blade this large. I think from now on I'll just call it a knife.

Travis,
The knife is a beauty and looks like it would be real comfy in the hand all day long! Our terminology continues to evolve. a Spey Fighter would be a good description. You could kill 'em & Castrate 'em! :biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back