Shechita in CPM 20CV

Taz575

Got this bad boy almost done! Need to do some clean up on the angle from the handle to the edge, final handle install and sharpen. 17.75" blade from .110" CPM 20CV (Crucible version of M390), high polish satin finish, blade is 2.4" wide. It got pretty flexy as I was grinding it, too since it gets so thin. I have around 10-12 hours in blade work alone on this one! I did a couple of these many years ago and forgot how much of a PITA they were, especially in M390!! I think in the future, something like AEB-L or Nitro V would be a better choice for an easier to sharpen option. Pictured with it is a 240mm gyuto from Shigeki Tanaka in R2 to give an idea of the size of this monstrosity!
Shechita2.jpgShechita1.jpg

Surprisingly, it wasnt too bad! 23.5" x 2.4" x .108" was $140 including shipping. I got a small piece out of the bar for a necker or small edc blade, too.

Surprisingly, it wasnt too bad! 23.5" x 2.4" x .108" was $140 including shipping. I got a small piece out of the bar for a necker or small edc blade, too.
Not that expensive? You could get like 30 plus pounds of good 52100 round bar for that. :D

True! We were originally looking at pieces 4" wide to get the 3" width he was originally looking for and those were like $250+. We would have had some thin strips left over afterwards, but I would have had to lay out a lot more dough up front! Knife is around 23" long overall. Found this one piece for a lot less so I grabbed it! I am looking forward to using the small piece, probably doing a scandi grind EDC type blade or something with it. 2.75-3" blade length, frame handle to maximize the steel I have left over.

It went down to a zero edge in some spots when grinding it and it would just push cut through stuff, including the side of my thumb!!

True! We were originally looking at pieces 4" wide to get the 3" width he was originally looking for and those were like $250+. We would have had some thin strips left over afterwards, but I would have had to lay out a lot more dough up front! Knife is around 23" long overall. Found this one piece for a lot less so I grabbed it! I am looking forward to using the small piece, probably doing a scandi grind EDC type blade or something with it. 2.75-3" blade length, frame handle to maximize the steel I have left over.

It went down to a zero edge in some spots when grinding it and it would just push cut through stuff, including the side of my thumb!!
I had the same sticker shock when I bought 3V. And a MUCH worse case when I looked at the "retail" price for small amounts of Z Tuff!!!!:eek:

3V isn't too bad. Most of the CPM steels are around $80-$100 for a 1/8"x1.5x36" bar of steel, or a 2" wide, 3/32" thick 3' bar of steel. 80CRV2, AEB-L, 8670, and the simple steels are much less, so the bulk of my stuff is those or if I find a good price on the CPM, or someone orders a CPM steel, I get a couple of bars so I have some on hand.

3V isn't too bad. Most of the CPM steels are around $80-$100 for a 1/8"x1.5x36" bar of steel, or a 2" wide, 3/32" thick 3' bar of steel. 80CRV2, AEB-L, 8670, and the simple steels are much less, so the bulk of my stuff is those or if I find a good price on the CPM, or someone orders a CPM steel, I get a couple of bars so I have some on hand.
It's all relative most of the time, but that ZTuff was like twice the price off 3V. Of course, this is coming from a guy who paid a few bucks a pound years ago for secret sauce stuff like DH III W2, NOS Schrade 1084 and Cru Forge V. And no, I did not walk 10 miles each way uphill though snow every day to get to school. ;)

I got some 50100 and 5160 at good prices a while back from USA knifemaker and even got elmax at a really good price from them, too! But other steels have some sticker shock to them! I go for the non surface ground bars when possible and do the clean up myself.

Back