Sheath Lining Question

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
I have done a couple lined sheaths and have studied Paul Long's and Tracy's tutorials and they are great but the one thing I'm not satisfied with on mine is the thickness of the lip I end up with at the sheath opening. When you sew the top edges together face to face then flip the lining to inside for glue up, you end up with four thickness of leather on that opening edge, and mine look too thick, at least not near as neat as Paul Long's, and think I'm missing something. I even skived the edge down on sheath edge on last one and still doesn't look way I want, when used elk skin and malleted it some after. What kind of leather do you use for linings and how do you skive and sew edge for best neatest look? Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Pics might help to clarify the area and that way you get better suggestions on how to fix it!

Okay guys, here's your answer.

Almost any Elk Skin is WAAYYY too thick. You will find that deer skin at about 2/3 oz (weight/thickness) is just about ideal. Even deer skin can get to be too thick if it is heavier than the 2/3. This applies primarily to pouch style sheaths. I line Blade style sheaths (stacked up construction) With 2/3 oz veg tan which is a split down version of the same leather the rest of the sheath is made of.

The deer skin is nice and stretchy and will negotiate the curve at the junction of the mouth of the sheath and the integral loop.
This is covered very completely and demonstrated in the "Basic Pouch Sheath" DVD, or I will be happy to answer questions via phone.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul, just saw your reply...I got your DVD and watching it helped a lot by seeing it all done in real time. I am now using some deer skin I had on hand and it streatches and works better than the elk skin or the Tandy split suede I was using. I am pretty satisfied with the outcome now but will keep trying to get better. As I don't have a machine, I use 10lb fishing line for the hidden stiching that ends up under the lip, to reduce bulk. I also hand buff down the edge of the deerskin so it is really thin where it rolls over edge. I made my own leather hammer by buffing the face of a sheet metal hammer and use it like you do in DVD to tap down the edge thinner. I figure this is one of those things that the more you do it the better it will get- you obviously have this down pat! Thanks for the help.
First pics show lining with too much bulk and my latest, with acceptable lip:
K1inShth.jpg

SKINSH1.jpg

It is always my pleasure to help out if I can. Ausbrooks, your tooling and swivel knife lines are really first rate. That suede lined sheath doesn't look bad (bulky) to a great degree at all in the photo. Keep up the good work.

Paul

Thanks a lot Paul - I've got a ways to go of course but starting to see a little success with the lined sheaths and look forward to the next one now!

Shoot im with paul that first one dont look bad at all ausbrooks, for me i kind of like the first better! i now im a little off but thats just me.

Thanks Franklin- I guess I don't dislike the first one with the bigger lip either... I just see how the pros do it and try to emulate it because it's one of those fine points that separates novice work from a professional looking job. Paul's lining edges lay so flat it looks like he painted them on with a brush on some of his work:what!:. Stuff like that is reason you pay him to do it for you- I just knew I couldn't get it to look even close to that without some assistance.

Thanks for the compliment Travis- there's just a lot to know in this knivemaking and leather work field and glad the information is shared by guys like you and Paul Long for us newbie's.

Man looks like im going to have to get pauls vid i am still struggling on the leather, And if you liked it thats all i need.

Back