Sheath Glue.

Mark Barone

I‘m finding when I glue my sheath and use clamps, it doesn’t come consistent. I feel like I am using too many clamps and the pressure is different or marks are made. What are some tips, and what is the best/quickest glue to use?Should I not be using clamps?

as you probably know , I'm just now posting about sheath making, so take whatever I say with a barrel of salt.
I don't use clamps. The glue I use is regular weldwood contact cement. My understanding is that the glue is only a construction aid . The stitching is what forms the mechanical bond.

I’ve used different contact cements for years ... It really doesn’t matter which. I have used binder clamps but I put some small pieces of card stock paper or something else to keep from leaving marks. Like Bruce said .. the stitching is the real “glue”.

Oh I’ve also used contact cement tape (if that’s what it’s called) Tandy leather sells it as well as other leather/fabric purveyors

I used to use the stuff made specifically made for leather, but the cans didn't seal well and I'd end up throwing half away when it would gum up, until another full-time sheath maker suggested Weldwood contact cement.

Yup, contact cement - Not sure what brand I have. I use binder clips and scraps of leather. Sometimes on a foldover/taco sheath getting the body tight against the welt at the tip is a little tough so I'll use a stronger spring clamp or small ratchet clamp to squeeze it together there.

Barge also. I also have Tanner's and some Master contact cement. I primarily use the Barge, just because it's a bigger container, really. I put Vaseline on the threads to help the container stay sealed, and keep the lid from glueing to the container. I rarely use any clamps on leather. I've never been able to do it without leaving marks on the leather. I generally just put something heavy on top of leather to distribute the weight, but keep it pressed together if I am doing a clamshell sheath. I am generally doing pancake sheaths now though, which doesn't have the same issues at glue up.

I use the Barge cement. After putting cement on let it dry for 5-10 minutes stick the pieces together lightly (you should be able to do some miner adjustments if needed) then I tap it down with a mallet. After that it depends what it is I'm making. If its totally flat I will put my piece of Marble on it until the cement is dry. If its a sheath I use the cheap Harbor Frieght plastic clamps with the rubber pads. They work good and I've had little to no marking.

I bought eco flo leather weld but I think it's water based. It failed submerged in water for some time.

Have you checked out Ian Atkinson yet? if not he's got a good video: "What is the Best Leather glue?"

Ok I’ll go with one of the contact cements. I like the idea of not clamping. I have only made a few sheaths. I have watched many videos. Another question. And I keep forgetting the name of the small piece of leather that prevents the stitch from being sliced. The thingamajig. Should I go with a thin piece or use the same medium or heavy weight. Are there any other techniques not using it.

Ok I’ll go with one of the contact cements. I like the idea of not clamping. I have only made a few sheaths. I have watched many videos. Another question. And I keep forgetting the name of the small piece of leather that prevents the stitch from being sliced. The thingamajig. Should I go with a thin piece or use the same medium or heavy weight. Are there any other techniques not using it.
Called a welt. I use the same size . (Only one I have)

I use Masters. The original amount is over a year old. When it gets thicker I add thinner to it and shake well. Just keeps going.

I use the same size welt as the sheath. I normally use 8 or 9 oz leather. This makes the seam where the welt is relatively thick. Usually I skive (thin) the body of the edges to 1/2 their original thickness. This prevents the edge from getting to thick and looking out of proportion.

Back