SharpWorx - Bench Stone Angle Guide 10° to 40°

markt

Mark1-2.JPG
I'm based in Texas and started SharpWorx this year based upon a new kind of sharpener I designed. It keeps your angle perfect on a bench stone.

30% off MarkI sharpeners --> Coupon Code: FathersDaySale --> SharpWorx Store

I'm running a Father's Day sale on the MarkI Sharpener with:
-Arkansas Soft Stone + Aluminum Oxide stone -or-
-Arkansas Soft Stone + Aluminum Oxide stone + Strop
Coupon Code: FathersDaySale

This is an original design for a knife sharpener. The design solves the age old problem of keeping your blade angle perfect while sharpening. There is also no set up time other than oiling the stone; there is no clamping the blade, instantly the blade can be sharpened.

Usage Video

The sharpener keeps a perfect angle using a sliding mechanism to guide the blade along the stone. An aluminum oxide stone is provided for forming the edge and an Arkansas Soft stone for polishing the edge. The angle is adjustable with a built in goniometer (precise angle adjustment) for angles from 10° to 40°.

After sharpening, the blade can easily slice through vegetables, paper, and wood with ease.

You will receive (depending on option selected):

• Arkansas soft stone (8" x 2" x 1/2") (optional)
  • Coarse Stone, 220 grit (8" x 2" x 1/2") (optional)
  • Strop (optional)
  • Sharpening fixture with slide (standard)
  • 2 oz. sharpening oil (standard)
  • Reusable cardboard box for storage (standard)
Other Highlights:

• Adjustable Angle (10° to 40°)
  • The slide moves along the stone with zero contact which will make it last for years.
  • Can be used on any non-serrated knifes.
  • Designed and made in Bellaire, TX USA
  • Extremely fast to use
  • Handsome design that can sit on a desk

Attachments

• Mark1.jpg
    Mark1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Mark1-2.JPG
    Mark1-2.JPG
    554.7 KB · Views: 13
Hey that looks pretty nifty! I’ll have to pick one up in a month or two trying to watch my spending for a few months. LOL

Hey that looks pretty nifty! I’ll have to pick one up in a month or two trying to watch my spending for a few months. LOL
Look at the Texans, sticking together. If I did not already have a favorite set up I might try it. I wonder how awkward it is to draw the carriage across the stone and pull the knife across at the same time. Other than that, looks good.

Look at the Texans, sticking together. If I did not already have a favorite set up I might try it. I wonder how awkward it is to draw the carriage across the stone and pull the knife across at the same time. Other than that, looks good.
I feel comfortable with it, but I have been using it for a while. I think it takes more skill than a pull through sharpener or a Lansky, but less skill than free hand sharpening.

Clever! American ingenuity at work. I hope you've got it patented - and make a gazillion dollars on it.
I have a provisional patent on it. I need a utility patent on it, but I need to sell quite a few of them to cover the $15,000. I plan to do that later this year.

Mark,
Very nice design. I was wondering how well it would glide or if it would hang up but in the video it looks very smooth.
I might have to give it a try.

Mark,
Very nice design. I was wondering how well it would glide or if it would hang up but in the video it looks very smooth.
I might have to give it a try.
Please try out the product. I'm running a sale now: 30% off MarkI and MarkII sharpeners (with two stones)--> Coupon Code: FathersDaySale

The bearings are very smooth. I did testing with a couple different styles and landed on this one because is is smooth, quite, and can be exposed to oil or water.

Nice, Mark. I just ordered one with two stones and already have a question. In the videos you complete 3 passes, like 2 on one side and 1 on another. Seems like that would give you unbalanced sides? Why not 4 passes to keep things the same? Thanks and congrats on your "launch". Blessings, Yager

Nice, Mark. I just ordered one with two stones and already have a question. In the videos you complete 3 passes, like 2 on one side and 1 on another. Seems like that would give you unbalanced sides? Why not 4 passes to keep things the same? Thanks and congrats on your "launch". Blessings, Yager
Hi Yager, I am still working on technique. I read the book Razor Edge by John Juranitch and I am going incorporate his guidance into future videos.

Looks interesting. What's the carriage made from (wondering if it will scratch up the face of blade at all).

If I can make a suggestion, on the short demo video, re-do the scene slicing the bell pepper. The video shows someone slicing it using a sawing motion (back and forth 3-4 times) that indicates a dull blade.

I recently received mine and it works well for smaller knives. I'm still trying to get the hang of it with an 8 inch chef knife as it's a narrow stone. It's made out of 3d-printed plastic filament and is, in my opinion, designed well. Unless there is grit between the knife and the plastic guide, it shouldn't mar the finish of the flats. The slider binds up on me a bit when it's all the way forward, and you need something grippy underneath in order to pull the slider back due to the rubber feet not having enough friction on a smooth table. Moving up to the belly of the knife makes it awkward to hold the knife and slider at the same time, and I've found myself checking my angle and not using the slider at all when I'm near the tip. It takes some getting used to.

If you use shorter strokes and don't go all the way to the end, as in the maker's video, it won't bind up. It's ideal for edges without too much of a curve. It definitely needs some good lubrication for the sliders like white lithium grease or silicon.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'd like to see the inventor using a different knife than a santoku in the demo -- an opinel number 8 has a curve and the locking ring hits the guide, making it impossible to sharpen the edge next to the handle. Any knife without a ricasso and a wide handle would have this issue as well, like a puukko.

Back