Sharpening round knife with a belt sander

Chef Niloc

I do a lot of my knives on a belt sander (modified for knife grinding) but have never done a round knife this way. Anyone here sharpen round/head knife this way? Seen any YouTube videos or any others? @Better yet a video of a knife maker makeing one? @

Good question. I can imagine a lot of skinned knuckles if your not careful. That rounded blade is not easy on a stone.

Probably why I am resisting getting one. So far nothing my Stanley utility knife cant handle. :biggrin:

I've done it Chef. Do so very carefully as there is a safety concern. The belt should rotate so it can't catch the edge.
You can ruin a good round knife in a hurry, not to mention fingers. I've only done it with knives that have been mis-sharpened and need that very thin edge brought back. Cool very often, about the time your getting it thin enough to skive leather well it also will burn the edge very quickly.

I always finish with a set of good stones and polish the round knife. A good one sharpened right cuts effortless and will skive leather the same way. I use a product called yellowstone on my strop and seldom have to stone my round knives. I use the same strop on my swivel knives.

I do a lot of my knives on a belt sander (modified for knife grinding) but have never done a round knife this way. Anyone here sharpen round/head knife this way? Seen any YouTube videos or any others? @Better yet a video of a knife maker makeing one? @

Hi Chef!
My Rhino Chop Knife is a cross of a Ulu Round Head Knife & a Chinese Chop.

I Grind out & sharpen these on my Hardcore 2" x 72" Belt sander along with leather Head Knives etc...

The trick is to take out the platen "If you can?" And to use a Hermes or Klingspor J weight super flex belt so you can lean in to the belt and KEEP it MOVING!

I make several passes. I start at 220G To get out chips and distortions and then go to a 400 grit and then a 600G or 800G
Depending. Then load the buffer with green chrome and buff that wire off and keep making passes until the convex edge shines!

Does that help you? If you have any questions Feel free to contact me.

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Hi Chef!
My Rhino Chop Knife is a cross of a Ulu Round Head Knife & a Chinese Chop.

I Grind out & sharpen these on my Hardcore 2" x 72" Belt sander along with leather Head Knives etc...

The trick is to take out the platen "If you can?" And to use a Hermes or Klingspor J weight super flex belt so you can lean in to the belt and KEEP it MOVING!

I make several passes. I start at 220G To get out chips and distortions and then go to a 400 grit and then a 600G or 800G
Depending. Then load the buffer with green chrome and buff that wire off and keep making passes until the convex edge shines!

Does that help you? If you have any questions Feel free to contact me.

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Help yes, but if you could post a quick pick of how you approach the belt I.E. 1st contact that would help. Do you move eft to right, back and forth, or twist?
Thank you
Colin

Back