Sharing: Magnifier Safety glasses at a good price

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Hi Gang!

Thought I would share this with everyone. Its of special interest to those of us have reached that age where the eyes are not as good as they used to be. (for me that was when I hit 40) :)

For a a long time I purchased full lens magnifier saftey glasses locally, but seems every time I went for a new pair, the price had gone up a dollar or two. What started out as decent $12 safety glasses are now at $19 a pair, and the quality has gone to pot. (they were the Mag-Safe brand). The last two pairs fell apart within 1 day of opening the package(s). I went looking, and found this outfit online.... http://www.fastwaysafety.com/

I ordered a couple pairs each of the following safety glasses, 1.5 and 2.0 full lens magnifier.

http://www.fastwaysafety.com/elvex-...ing-safety-glasses-with-clear-hard-coat-lens/

http://www.fastwaysafety.com/elvex-...ing-safety-glasses-with-clear-hard-coat-lens/

I was impressed that I ordered them on a Friday morning, and they were in my mailbox with the following Monday's mail. (from Ohio to Montana). I've been using them for about 2 weeks now, and for the price they are a gem! I wear the 1.5s for general shop work, and the 2.0s when grinding and doing finish work. The lenses are super clear, and they seem to provide better protection then the Mag-Safe brand. Generally surface grinding with a heavy grit belt is the worst for me....stuff is flying everywhere, and with the Mag-Safe glasses I was always getting stuff in my eyes..... so far I've not had that happen with these glasses. They are also more comfortable then the Mag-Safe glasses..... I can wear then all day in the shop in comfort. Not bad for $7 full lens magnifiers!

Thank you for sharing this, Ed. I'm at that oh-so-magical age where I'm finding I need the magnification to see anything closer than my elbow (hand sanding). But I can't look up and around the shop without getting the fishbowl effect. I've been using a jeweler's visor with the swing-up lenses so that I don't have to constantly take them on and off, but that visor gets darn uncomfortable after a while. It would probably be way more comfortable to have a set of these that I can just push up onto my forehead when I'm not looking through them. They would also be great because I could wear them under my face shield when I'm grinding since I've got my forehead nearly on the top wheel of the flat platen attachment anyway.

thanks again. For the price it's a no-brainer to try a pair.

I need the magnification to see anything closer than my elbow

Yeah! Whats up with that anyway....as we get older, our arms keep getting shorter! :) (can't ever seem to hold anything far enough away to see it clearly)

FYI: I tried to order some of these. The 2.0 magnification models are temporarily out of stock. They have the 1.5 in stock.

I agree, I like to read the newspaper from across the table. My eyes are perfect, my arms are just too short!! :biggrin::biggrin:

DeMo

Gah!!!!

This thread jinxed me! I have now hand sanded the same side of a blade TWICE. I swear it looks perfect each grit change. But when I get to 600 magical 120grit scratches appear from the ether! I have gone back to 120 and progressed back TWICE! Oh- and for good measure it's a big old chefs knife, because what good is suffering if it's not on a huge chunk of hardened stainless?

I sanded so long yesterday that my jewelers visor felt like it was squeezing directly onto my skull.

Well, that settles it. If I'm going to stink up the joint with poor sanding technique I may as well be comfortable doing it. I'm ordering a couple pairs now.

In the meantime I'm going to take the blade back to the grinder. My stubbornness has been beaten into submission. These magical scratches are obviously deeper than I can get hand sanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back