Shaping/Bending steel

jylong_away

Hi everyone!

My latest project has been a Titanium bangle/bracelet, which I made from a strip of Textured titanium from USAKMS. Did the bending by heating the Ti on a stove, then eventually with a butane torch.

Have been thinking of doing a similar thing with a strip of damascus, and was wondering if it's actually possible to heat stainless steel to a bendable temperature using a stove and torch like I did with the Ti?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

I wouldn't want to try it. Stainless needs to be pretty hot. I forge quite a few different items out of damascus, contact me if I can help with that.
Chad

Chad,

thanks for the offer. I really wanted to try it, if anything, just to extend my own skill/experience. Have been making rings and other trinkets out of damascus via stock removal, but never tried forging. Sounds like I might give this one a miss for now :)

dave

if you can find a thick firebrick, one of the really soft 3x5 bricks, (i cant exactly remember the dimensions of mine) you can actually drill a hole down the end of the brick and put a hole in the side for a torch, and it works as a small makeshift forge, it gets plenty hot for carbon steel, but i dont really work with stainless... ill try to find a picture of mine...

Attachments

• DSC00255.jpg
    DSC00255.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00256.jpg
    DSC00256.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 8
Back