Shadows

Brent D. Cramer

Here are a couple of Shadow patterns that I thought I would share.

The Natural Micarta is 4" closed and the Sambar stag is smaller 3 3/8".

They both are made of 154cm.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for the kind words.

Very nice and clean work. What does the term "shadow" mean when referring to slippies?

Bruce, that refers to the fact that they have no bolsters. These are constructed with stainless washers that are counter sunk into the scales about .100 of an inch to hold the knife securely together with no chance of pulling out. Which incidentally I picked up from Tony and Reese Bose.

Many older shadow pattern slip joints were made by just peening the pivot pin into the scale material with no washer at all.

As for the origin.... or the reason for the name..... I'm at a loss. Maybe someone else could chime in on the history.

Hey guys thanks for the kind words.

Bruce, that refers to the fact that they have no bolsters. These are constructed with stainless washers that are counter sunk into the scales about .100 of an inch to hold the knife securely together with no chance of pulling out. Which incidentally I picked up from Tony and Reese Bose.

Many older shadow pattern slip joints were made by just peening the pivot pin into the scale material with no washer at all.

As for the origin.... or the reason for the name..... I'm at a loss. Maybe someone else could chime in on the history.

Are they as strong as the same model with the bolsters? Are they easier to make and would cost less if you sold one?

Originally Posted by Bruce Bump

Are they as strong as the same model with the bolsters? Are they easier to make and would cost less if you sold one?

Tony thinks that incorporating the washer makes a stronger knife! The thought is that the weakest place on a slip joint is at the seam between the bolsters and scales. In this method the scale extends all the way to the end of the knife and is sandwiched between the two washers....no seam.

Of course this only works with very hard handle material, like stag, micarta or something similar.

I'm not sold that it's a better knife, BTW, I've never heard Tony or Reese say that either. It is just different in construction and aesthetics. I like the way they look!

As for price.... there is no soldering of bolsters, but other than that the construction is the same.

I charge less for the shadow pattern. That's actually my base price model....then I add an up charge for more features like shields, bolsters, fluted bolsters, exotic handle material and the like. I could send you a price list to look at which explains it in better detail.

I hope this answers your questions.

Last edited:
Back