Serious Questions for Collectors

knifecarver

Hi
Please Help me out. I just attended my first knife show. I brought some of the knives I posted pictures of in the Art Deco forum. The feedback I got was that I need to chose a better quality production knife like Buck or Canal Street Cutlery or work with a Custom Knife Maker. (Maybe that's why I only got one reply on my Hen & Rooster Wolfpack knife) What production knives should I be working on? What if I sold the cheaper knives on E-bay. Would that hurt my reputation or help with exposure? Thank you! WOOF!

Cathy

All I can tell you Cathy is that I became hooked on the Buck 110, 112, 532, 500 mainly because of the quality of the knife (made in the USA) and abundance and variety craftsman offered. Buck has a big following as does Spyderco and Case. I bought many of my customized knives on e-bay just because of the pictures and descriptions. I don't think it would hurt your reputation if you're offering a quality product and would definitely help with exposure. The only other thing I could offer, and I am no expert, is that your carvings may be as subjective as scrimshaw to a collector. I like scrimshaw on a knife but the only examples of scrimshaw I own is of my dogs and wolves... never was interested in sailing ships or whales.

Back