Sentinel Auto Folder Solidworks WIP

Rick Haney Design

This is my first attempt at designing a automatic button lock folder,I'm minimalizing the liner since I dont have a liner lock bar to design around.

I've taken my S&W auto apart to study & measure how the button's relationship is to the blade tang & how these things work.I then drew the design on 2D,Inserted the parts into a 3D assembly.

I felt It needed a beefy 3/16" stop pin due to the .150 thick blade mass,It designed to take a standard 1/2" coil spring & button.

I'll post more drawings as I figure out SW,This will test my patience.

I'm thinking .150 thick CPM S-30V blade,.125 thick half liners,.090 composite scales,Sculpted Ti clip (Tip Up).

Should be interesting when I get this SW down a liitle bit better,Bare in mind this SW & automatic thing is totally new to me.:D

Attachments

• Sentinel Auto Design 2D 001.jpg
    Sentinel Auto Design 2D 001.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Sentinel Auto Design Solidworks #1 001.jpg
    Sentinel Auto Design Solidworks #1 001.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Sentinel Auto Design Solidworks #2 001.jpg
    Sentinel Auto Design Solidworks #2 001.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Sentinel Auto Design Solidworks Exploded View 001.jpg
    Sentinel Auto Design Solidworks Exploded View 001.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 53
Here's the design after I modified the parts.
As You can see I incorporated a intergral backspacer/clip.
The parts material appearance is wrought stainless blade,titanium liners & backspacer/clip,e-glass scales.

Finally figured out I could countersink a 2-56 flat head screw pretty easy with the Hole Wizard selection feature.I would have inserted the screws from the Toolbox,But apparently I don't have that add-on installed yet.

I'll need to create the 3/16" Alpha pivot in a couple days,I hope.:confused:
Stay tuned. :D

Attachments

• Sentinel Auto Folder Design SW 2010 001.jpg
    Sentinel Auto Folder Design SW 2010 001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 37
Sweet! I really like that design.

Frstr8,Thanks.Needs more work,I'm thinking the clip could be shorter.:D
I'll need to create the button w/ flange & 1/2" coil spring w/ horizonal & vertical legs,I'm not sure if I can scan a spring & then create it.:confused:

I'll give a shot.:D

The evolution continues.....:D

I modified the backspacer/clip to be full length,Shortened the clip.

Attachments

• Sentinel Auto Design SW #4 001.jpg
    Sentinel Auto Design SW #4 001.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 20
I would like to thank Joe Caswell for giving me permission to use his In-Line clip configuration in this design,Thanks Joe!We talked about various knife related subjects,Joe is a out of the box thinker.:D

Ok,I tweaked on the backspacer-clip,Decided to use the front end to the blade stop,Thinking Titanium would not hold up with the mass of a .150 blade impacting the surface.Joe suggested I use stainless for the backspacer-clip not only for the durability for the blade stop contact area & the clip stress.I'm thinking same material as the blade,Hted of course.

It now has a 1/4" pivot for added strength,Positioned the button up higher to the profile of the spine.I'm getting closer to a workable model,I'm measuring the button recess depths,Counterbores etc.....

This design is coming together.

Attachments

• Sentinel Auto Design Final SW 001.jpg
    Sentinel Auto Design Final SW 001.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Sentinel Auto Design Final SW 002.jpg
    Sentinel Auto Design Final SW 002.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Sentinel Auto Design Final SW 003.jpg
    Sentinel Auto Design Final SW 003.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 10
  • Sentinel Auto Design Final SW 004.jpg
    Sentinel Auto Design Final SW 004.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 8
Hey Rick,

Looks good. How do you like SW? I Just whent from AutoCad to SW 2010 the transition was different but what a powerfull tool. It sure takes allot out of trial and error on the engineering front with Interference detection and simulation and as you know the list goes on and on.

Travis

Hey Rick,

Looks good. How do you like SW? I Just whent from AutoCad to SW 2010 the transition was different but what a powerfull tool. It sure takes allot out of trial and error on the engineering front with Interference detection and simulation and as you know the list goes on and on.

Travis

Travis,Thanks.:DI just got comfortable doing folder designs on AutoCad the last year,Decided to challenge myself & try to learn enough SW to do some virtual models of my designs before I even cut any material.I havn't got to the point of using the Interference detection function yet,Should be beneficial in checking blade to componence tolerances.This is just another great tool to use,I'll be glad when the trial & error gets easier.:confused:

I am no pro yet either (been using it since December) but any questions you have let me know i may be able to help.

Travis

Back