screwing on bolsters

Holland Bramlitt

Does any one have any advise on screwing titanuim bolsters on from the back side of the liners on a slipjoint pocket knife. I dont want to screw them on from the front because it just doesn't look right on a slippie to me. And if so do you jb weld over the screws or just leave them alone. any info would be much appreciated.

Are the bolsters thick enough to use a blind hole? I don't think there is a way to hide the screws if they come through the front.

Joe

I think you'll have the best luck using a blind hole as suggested if you don't want any evidence of the screws...you'll need a bottoming tap. Also, if you use screws from the inside of the liners, it most likely will mean that you can't relieve the liners to prevent scratching of the tang. Just something to consider. Won't be a problem if you're planning to use washers. Good luck -Phil

I screw bolsters on all the time. I made a bottom tap out of a broken regular 1-72 tap and just squared off the end with a little chamfer. If you plan properly and make the bolsters a little longer you can put the screw closer to the end, away from where you will relieve the liners. I usually tap the bolsters about 1/16 or so on an 1/8in thick bolster.

Back