Scraps from the Master's Table

Roger T

I stopped by Bruce’s shop last Friday and he gave me a piece of the Turkish Walnut he used for the stock on his axe/gun. Honest, I didn’t even have to beg (very much).
3.gif

DSC05183_zps7aa993c2.jpg

I cut a piece if it about ¾ x ¾ x 3”.
DSC05184_zps250578ee.jpg

Drilled it lengthwise and cemented in a brass tube.
DSC05188_zps7e224622.jpg

Trimmed it to length on the disc sander.
DSC05189_zps29215d4f.jpg

Inserted guide bushings in each end and mounted it on the lathe.
DSC05190_zps38de9333.jpg

Rough cut it round.
DSC05191_zps26758467.jpg

Cut it to the finished size using the bushings to get the proper diameter on the ends.
DSC05192_zps6d322df9.jpg

Sanded it smooth.
DSC05193_zpsf7397ed0.jpg

Wiped on several coats of medium-bodied CA glue, sanded and polished.
(These pictures came out too blurry to post)

Pressed in the fittings on each end and assembled the rest of the hardware.

DSC05197_zps6cac592b.jpg

DSC05198_zps4396a19a.jpg

The finished product.
DSC05200_zps2991b061.jpg

Now I just have to deliver this one to my generous benefactor.

Anyone with a lathe will find these easy to make.
Thanks for peeking in here while we all watch for Bruce to work more of his magic.

Roger Treis

Very cool!
I just traded one of my knives for a Jet Lathe with a Pen makers jig. Haven't made one yet and appreciate the pictures. I have made some Official Rhino Wine/Bottle stoppers out of Cal Buckeye and Flame Box Elder.

Pictures soon! That's some great looking Walnut there.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Holy Cow! Thats cool Roger!
Hey I have some bubinga, afzalia burl, some deer, elk and buffalo antlers..........come back!

Very cool!
I just traded one of my knives for a Jet Lathe with a Pen makers jig. Haven't made one yet and appreciate the pictures. I have made some Official Rhino Wine/Bottle stoppers out of Cal Buckeye and Flame Box Elder.

Pictures soon! That's some great looking Walnut there.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks Laurence,
Even though it's not directly knife related, it's nice sometimes to have a project that can be completed in a just a couple of hours. Feel free to contact me if you'd like some tips on suppliers, techniques, tooling or equipment.
Roger

Roger you make it look so easy.
Hey I wonder of this tutorial qualifys for Bossdogs October contest. Maybe he will chime in here. He,s is drawing a name to receive $50 free merchandise.

Thanks Laurence,
Even though it's not directly knife related, it's nice sometimes to have a project that can be completed in a just a couple of hours. Feel free to contact me if you'd like some tips on suppliers, techniques, tooling or equipment.
Roger

Roger,
I've had fun learning to work the lathe and shaping a few Wine stoppers. I am starting to design a new culinary knife that I can turn a dowel handle for.

Thanks and I may be P.M.ing you soon!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Bruce,

I really enjoyed this wip Roger T created ! I already added it to my list for October ;)

Roger T is a model example for what the give-a-way is all about. He came out of his shell and posted a great wip for the benefit of all and used skills directly related to knifemaking. A homerun in my book and exactly what we want to encourage.

Roger T, Bravo ! Please feel free to post in our Tutorial and Wip forum anytime :)

-Josh

Beautiful work, Roger. I love turning nearly as much as knife making... its a great way to re-purpose the smaller bits left over from handles and such.

Must be something about living in Walla Walla that makes yall predestined to do great WIPs...

Beautiful work Roger!

I see some custom pens at knife shows for sale. Ed Caffrey makes some from blade steel and titanium. Kaye and I both love Rogers work and each have one. It think theres something in the Water in Walla Walla for the Wips. :)

Wow, thanks everyone for all the kind comments. It is a fun way to use remnants that are too small for anything else. I appreciate being entered in the drawing, too. As far as coming out of the shell goes, it's not that difficult when the shell is as soft-in-the-middle as this one is.:3:

Last edited:
Roger,
If you stop at Taco Bell and get a bag of Encha-burra-Taco-ritos or whatever they have this week, Bruce will probably include a new slippie with those scraps he is givin you.

Roger,
If you stop at Taco Bell and get a bag of Encha-burra-Taco-ritos or whatever they have this week, Bruce will probably include a new slippie with those scraps he is givin you.

Bruce & I both thank you for generously commissioning that slippie for me. He 'll have it done right after he finishes up old "Dragon Breath".

Back