Sched 80 pipe replacement

Dacks

I'm building a small forge according to Larry Zoeller's plans, These plans call for 1/8"x4" schedule 60 black pipe nipple" as part of the burner assembly.

I can't find sched 80 pipe anywhere around here.

Is there a proper substitute for this pipe in this application?

http://www.zoellerforge.com/

Peter I was talking with Indian George and Wayne Coe and they both have said that a #20 propane tank or an old freon tank would work very well. They told me that the metal didn't have to be too thick. It is the lining that makes the difference. Right now I am gathering up my parts for this project. When I went to find pipe for this the price was very high as in it was $62 for 20" of pipe. That is when I asked about the tanks. Walmart has them new for $27 here.

James, they are free everywhere because of the new valve requirement. Freon tanks are available free at any Heat and Air shop. They are not refillable and they have to pay to get rid of them. Some may break the valve off. Who cares, you are not using the valve.

Dacks, No there is no substitute. The best deal is just buy Larry's Z Burner. Larry makes these, he does some machining and they get hotter than the side arm burner. For the price and the problem of getting the specific fittings (just a 2X3/4 bell reducer does not work well. It needs to be a Ward type reducer) it is not worth the trouble to try to build your own. The reason that you need the schedule 80 1/4" nipple is that you have to cut threads inside the nipple. schedule 80 gives you the thickness needed. Now with all that said I have a couple here and could send you one for $5.00 plus whatever the shipping is.

Wayne, James - Thanks for the tips guys.

Wayne - I like learning how to make stuff. :D

To add:
Yesterday I found the 1/8"x4" sched 80 pipe nipple which nearly completes the needed parts list for a dual burner set up. The only missing piece now is the refractory cement used to coat the ceramic wool, and I think I'll have to get that from the www.

Back