scams and pop ups

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
In the last few days sometimes when I go to KD I get a request to do a survey for KD and get a free prize. Free prizes require a couple of bucks for shipping.......Something else came up today.....I closed it before I took any notes but it was something that was scanning my computer. Both of these you can not do anything by hitting the back button. Closing the window closes the browser so I have to start my browser again then re log on to KD.:mad::confused::(

Just now Bill the email notification that came in, had all the post information, but usually it had live links, and I could just click the links to get to here. I had to get back to this page the old fashion way, know you are watching this thread so I reported it here.
Thanks,
Jim

I'm pretty sure it's something going with your browser, you have some ad ware or spy ware going. I use Firefox and have never had these problems since I started using it.

Wayne this is on your end sorry to say. You have caught a bug of some sort. I will start a thread in the tech support section for a low cost solution.

Thanks Tracy, I just felt that it was good to put out the notice. I sure didn't figure that I was the only one haveing this.

I am now running a brand new PC because of one of these little virus things going around.Even Malwarebytes (the paid version),Super anti spyware, and AVG could not defeat it.
I am just putting this here so that you can all be aware that there is some REALLY nasty stuff running around recently. A LOT of folks are getting it too. It doesn't seem to matter which AV programs they have either. It seems that common sense caution is the best protection. If something New is on a site you visit regularly be real careful. Some have gotten the viruses this way,by clicking on a "pop-up" that is not normally there. Just be careful.

One thing I've used multiple times on different PCs is Combofix. It's a very simple program that you can use to correct some system issues. I only use it as a last resort, because it messes with system stuff and that could screw up the computer, but it gets rid of some deeply hidden bugs.

I like to keep combofix on a flash drive, because a virus that I had to remove with it would not allow it to download from the internet.

I keep Apps and Data on separate drives , once I re-image my machine , I make an image of that HD for back up , this way worst comes to worst , swap hard drives and back in business ASAP.

Like Mike , I tend to keep a copy of all my utilities on a thumbdrive 2thumbs

Back