Scabbard For An American Hanger

LRB

Iron mounted scabbard for a Willyard/Secrest 24" bladed hanger. Copied/inspired from an original 18th c. scabbard which I assume to have been English. Throat and drag was made from 22 ga. sheet steel. Locket/frog button was filed from 1/8" steel, and brazed to the throat and post. A 20D nail was used to make the post. The drag/chape was hammer shaped over a form in two pieces, then brazed together. The leather is 7/8oz vege-tan, with a center seam sewn with linen thread. Lightly dyed with Fiebings British tan sprits dye, and oiled. Both mounts were lightly aged to match the sword, and glued to the leather. Hope you enjoy a look.

Good work - seems like I learn something with so many of the posts of projects. Thanks for posting.

Ken H>

Very Very good work here. I suspect there are very few makers capable of what you've accomplished. Thanks for showing it.

Thankyou all for the compliments. I greatly appreciate the kind words. This is my 5th sword scabbard, and recognize there is yet more to learn about the making of them. Thanks again.

Back