Satin finnish

Josh, you can go the way that works for you with all you knife making. We all do, until there seems to be a need for something better or an easier way to do it. Then many will spend the time and money to find a better way. I feel if it costs more to do it or takes more time to get better results I will go that route as most will. Nothing stange for you to recommend your way of doing it. It's what can bring in the answers and the "research and development" as my wife calls it. In truth it is just that.
Yes Josh the Mobil 1 does stop the fish hooks and swirls from happening and you don't have to go to that very carefully placing that clean edge of the sandpaper on a fairly sharp edge of back up material, and very carefully placing all your strokes one over the other and all pulled the same way. Frank

Frank,

Thanks alot for clearing that up for me. I'm all for better results and I love the sound of the Mobile 1. I'll be trying it out on my first blade after the new year.

Thanks again for sharing this knowledge, it is appreciated !

-Josh

Josh, that sharing thing is what is so super good about these forums. We often get to try and then use information used my those who live thousands of miles away!!! And I believe with every new to me maker I have tried to help there has been something of real value in the making thing that has been passed on to me. Frank

one question about this. what type of sandpaper is good to use with the mobile 1. i have 3m imperial i get from my bodyshop. is that ok to use.

It seems to me that is a great quality grade. When in doubt as to what size to start with I find I go on the courser side. I am using some Norton. Frank

I asked this, but I think it got lost in the previous page.
Does Mobil 1 help get to a mirror finish easily, or just to satin?

Also, does this method work on materials other than metal (non-porous/absorbant of course)? I was thinking about trying it on a project out of G11.

EDIT: P.S. Walmart has a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 for $19 regular priced. The 1 qt bottles are $6 everywhere else.

Last edited:
Mike.
Sorry I missed your question. I think that would be a great idea. I will be using some G 10 in the future but still several weeks away. I know since you brought it up I will for sure give it a try. It won't hurt to try.
A quart will last almost everyone about a year. I can't believe that price. Seems hi for the USA. It's about what I pay here in Canada. Frank

This is such an interesting post and I have been trying out some of the suggestions re the satin finish. I have tried the motor oil suggest by Frank, using 400 grit and it comes out great. Just for fun, I then followed up using super fine steel wool and kerosene ... it comes out even better. Just thought I'd let you all know.

Terry

Mobile 1 believer

Frank,

Just thought I'd share my first Mobile 1 experience.

Poured a quarter sized puddle on an 8" Chefs knife and smeared it around. then preceeded to scrub the heck out of it with some 320 grit paper giving no thought or worry to fishooks.

I did get fishooks all over the place but I easily got a smoother finish than what 320 would typically give and the fishook appeared to be very shallow.

Went from 220 grit to 320 grit with 1 piece of paper 1 1/2" x 5" and the oil. Replaced my paper and oil and removed fishooks in a minutes worth of straight pulls with the fresh paper.

Total time elapsed to go from 220 to 320, about 10 minutes per side tops,

To me- This is a huge success and a serious reduction in time and paper consumption ! 2thumbs

Thanks again for the tip- Josh :D

Frank-

I know I snipped about your post on BF about this and want to admit that I have never tried it with Mobile 1. It might just be a hard pill to swallow as it took me a few years to come to the finishing techniques that I use... and blade finish is one of the things "my" collectors know me for.

But it's weak and ignorant on my part to dismiss it without trying it, so I'm gonna give it a go. Thanks :)

Have you tried this going up to a VERY high grit? I read all 7 pages, and if I missed the answer I apologize. I ask because the only knives I'm working on right now are going up to at least 1500X (clay hardened/polished blades).

I know there are some things I've come up with in my shop that are no brainers and folks always seem to choose the harder way, so I can empathize with you on this for sure.

Thanks Frank :)

Nick, you do work that evertone thinks is great! I too also think your work is great ! I have only gone to 1000 and to tell the truth figured for what I was doing the 800 would have done what I was looking for. There is definitely a tremendous change in effort, tecknique needed and looks achieved up to say 600. After that , I don't know. I'm sure hoping you will find it an advantage to get what you are looking for. Frank

Well, on a trip through Wally world I spotted a self full of Mobil One.
I have to admit that I was skeptical to the point that I thought old Frank was pulling our collective legs.
I tried it and have to say that IT WORKS.
Frank, you are a genius and I am a dumb a$$.
I went from grinder to etch in 30 min. One third the usual time and one third the sand paper.

Thanks Frank, YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

Greg

Man!
Im doing all sorts of new stuff! I am now using my new vari speed disc grinder from Rob Frink. I went thru the grits up to 800 grit on the disc. Started hand sanding at 600 grit, worked thru 800 grit and decided Id try 1000. I went from a rough ground 10' Sontoku chefs knife in 440C to 1000 grit hand finish in less than 1 hour 10 minutes! This may not sound like much to you pros, but its a quantum leap for me!!!! Im stoked!

Frank, Thank You again for suggesting the Mobile! I for one am sold!

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

LOLOL, somewhere, theres a lil bean counter guy in an office on the 34th floor going "Holy Crap our quart size bottle sales are going up dramatically in Wal Marts around the world!!!"

I wonder if Mobil ! stock value has taken a jump? Boy, what a super feeling I get to know I'm giving something back to lots of people out there !!!!!! Frank

Finally got to try the Mobile 1 oil last night. It really works. Wish I had known that sooner. Thanks for the info Frank!!!!

Hi Cal.
This was the right time for me to get this up. All the thank yous have been converted to Xmas presents for me. There have been lots ! Thanks everyone ! Frank

Back