Satin and Matte finishes by Blasting and Tumbling

theWeatherman

So I have been looking into different types of finishes than just spending loads of time with paper squares finishing my knives and hurting my fingers. I did make some sanding sticks which I like but I would like to discuss some "Satin and Matte" finishes that can be accomplished by tumbling and Sand or Bead Blasting.

When going the tumbling rout you use a tumbler or industrial vibrator that has some type of abrasive in it, mostly cones or triangles, mixed with soap and water. I am on the fence with this finish. It gives a good satin finish but sometimes if you can really see the scratches on the blade. That sounds funny when you say it but maybe the knife wasn't in long enough or whatever. Not to mention that you would have to get a heavy enough tumbler to do it properly, and I have access to a sand blaster.

Now I have heard of Sand Blasting and Bead Blasting. Using a blasting medium you create dimples in the surface and because the light reflects differently off of the angled dimples it is a satin or matte finish.

For Bead blasting you still have to have a mirror polish on the blade to bead blast and see a big difference.

I have heard that Sand blasting is not the best because of how rough and deep the abrasive cuts into the steel and it could still lead to a better chance of corrosion, even in stainless steel.

What do you guys think of the different finishes? I really am interested in your thought on sand blasting or some sort of sand blasting. I have seen Aluminum Oxide, Black Beauty grit, Glass/Aluminum Oxide mixed medium. What would be good for a satin finish that would still keep the corrosion down for the sand blasting on CPM 154CM?

I have done some blasting on my blades. I dont do it on carbon steel because of the corrosive possibilities, but I do use it on stainless from time to time. I use a very fine medium and keep the "dimples" as small as possible.

I have done some blasting on my blades. I dont do it on carbon steel because of the corrosive possibilities, but I do use it on stainless from time to time. I use a very fine medium and keep the "dimples" as small as possible.

What type of medium do you use? Size, grit?

I usually used Half glass beads and half aluminum oxide as my favorite go to Bead blast formula. I forget right now the grit size but can get back to you.
CW

Back