Sandy Morrisey shop visit

Josh Dabney

Where to start...

I can't express my gratitude enough to my friend for welcoming me into his shop, home, and life for a brief but memorable day and half.

Having only a little online contact in the past and the connection of my mentor and his student DCknives when I found out I was vacationing 12 miles from his place I got Sandy's number from Dave with the intention of a cold call and request for a shop visit.

I'm always apprehensive about calling folks out of the blue like that but the oppertunity before me overwhealmed my apprehension quickly :biggrin:

Once settled in I gave a call and the response I got was something like this- Yeah... I know who ya are, your not here yet ? Well get on over here I'm sittin at the leather bench waitin on ya. -Apprehention out the window and I'm in my truck and on the way.

You name it, we talked about it. A more humble man with amazing and perhaps unparalleled expertise in his field I've never met.

Having had extensive teaching from Dave already Sandy guaged my work, skipped MOST of the basics and plowed right into more advance topics like tool making, use, and elevating the basics for cleaner work.

One aspect of sheathmaking I'm really starting to enjoy is carving and tooling. Up to this point I've come up with amaturish carvings with potential. Stepping up from amature to pro level in anything can be extremely difficult without a pro taking you under his wing and teaching you the finer points of the art. The details of a true professional may be rarely recognised to the untrained eye but mastering the details is a must to reach the next level.

For sharing with me his wisdom and expereience in the finer points of leatherworking I'm forever gratefull and indebted to a man I'm proud to call freind- Mr. Sandy Morrisey

Aside from leatherworking I think we both learned a little about life during our visit and discovered a 53 year age difference is but a blink of the eye. Instead of being seperated by generation gap I believe we were brought together by the undeniable commonalitys of our unique lives.

This thread is worthless without pics right ?
046.jpg

045.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

041.jpg

040.jpg

Thanks again my Friend !

I'll be looking forward to talking with ya again soon !
-Josh

That's Pop's for ya,kind ,generous,wise and a whole lotta fun to hang with.He truly is the "Godfather of Moo",lol.I am glad you got to visit with him Josh after all I told you about him.Josh also hand delivered a beautifully carved holster that Sandy gifted to me.Like my other pieces, I will treasure it forever.Thanks Guys.Dave

they don't come any better then dad.He has helped more people,and opened his home to so meny,that it is hard to think of a betterr person.

Great story and photos. Sandy does fantastic work. Thanks for sharing and you already know how lucky you are.

Sandy is a great guy. He always stops in a visits with me at Blade but since Blade show was a week late this year I was at the NCOWS nationals shoot instead. One of the big things I missed at Blade was being able to visit with folks like him.

Josh, it was a pleasure having you here, my friend. Strange as it may seem, teaching someone some of the nuances of leather work is a learning experience for me---for which I am grateful. It is like going to school on each other!!!! This session made you another of my "adopted" children---------------------------Dad

Just what ya needed Pop- Yet another illigitimate child :) LOL

In all seriousness though it's a family I'm proud to be a member of !!!!!

Picked up some bolts and a checkering file already ;)

Take care, Josh

Im looking at this post almost a year after you put it up and I think its friggin awesome ! you having the oppertunity to met with a such a legend. Great stuff bro .. Great pics , must have been a great time .

The 1 year anniversary is creeping up quickly which means it's BladeShow time :)

Sure hope Sandy's gonna come to the show it'd be great to see him again this year.

It was one heck of a shop visit and evidence of how important it can be to network with other makers. I couldn't begin to tell y'all how much help I've got from friends of friends. Just like Sandy these fine folks have become my own friends. It's a great way to develop a network of friends and resourses in our community and you'll be hard pressed to have more fun that during a shop visit with another or hosting a maker as a guest in your own shop.

I've done both a bunch of times and highly recommend it !

Good times fellas... Good times indeed !

-Josh

Where does the time go when you are having so much fun? Yes, it has been almost a year, Josh, my son, and it is time for you to slide into my shop again! Don't forget to pick up a couple cold ones as you pass the frig. Pull up a chair and lets talk shop, shoot the bull, and pass info back and forth..

The past year has been both good and sad at times. My health remains excellent and I am now working on my 90th year on this planet. The sadness was the loss of one of our beloved members, Dave Cole , another of my children. I will be going to the Blade Show and hope to see all of you there-----Sandy---the old goat

This is awesome !!! So cool that you have had the oppertunity to meet and hang with one of the GREATS !! Sandy Morrissey

You can't beat "Pop". He is a true gentleman that goes the extra mile to help anyone he meets.

I have to watch him though. I think he is sweet on my wife, "Miss Patti". Maybe I need to watch her...... She seems a little sweet on him too.

Love You Pop..............See you in Atlanta.

Robert

That doesn't suprise me a bit Robert !

I'm keeping my wife away ON PURPOSE ! Have a funny feeling I'd miss her :) Pop sure is a charmer, LOL.

How's your brother-in-law doing ? Had him at the house for a shop visit once when he was in town and haven't heard peep from him since. Nice fella too !

Take care, Josh

Sandy's work is awesome, pictures do not do it justice. Unfortunately I have only one of his sheaths.... I love it. THe knife is made by Toby Crocker a UK maker. Enjoy.

100_0022.jpg

Back