Sandvik steels

KenH

Hello all, How many folks use Sandvik steel for blades? Either the 12C27 or the newer 14C28 alloy? I'm just looking for comparisons to a standard. The standard Boss suggested 440C as a standard to compare other steels to seems like a good idea. My use of Stainless Steels is limited to 12C27 and 440C from Admiral.

Rc of 59/60 can be had with most of the modern steels, it seems like the edge retention and resistant to chipping (toughness?) and a couple of the main things to compare.

I've been happy with Sandvik, but I can only compare to a couple of 440C blades I've done. Just looking for other opinions.

Ken H>

Many years back I used some 12C27 I had been using a lot of 440-C I was having it heat treated at a place that not only used a vacuum chamber but did the cryo treatment as well. I found that the 440-C was better all around steel foir hunting, fishing nand kitchen knives , --that is until ATS-34 came along and then I used that. Frank

I personally like AEB-L (similar to 12c27) it performs above and beyond 440C in my opinion. 440C isnt bad, but the carbide size is vastly different. I suppose it comes down to do you like a knife that holds a dull edge for a longer time(440C) or a VERY sharp edge that doesnt hold it as long but sharpens up much easier. If I am gonna go with a larger carbide abrasively resistant steel there are a lot better than 440c. Things like cpm 154, elmax, s90v, s35vn, etc. I like how AEB-L sharpens so clean, and can be taken down to such low angle sharpness, just ask the kitchen knife nuts.

Did a bit more reading and find the AEB-L says it's the razor blade steel? I was sure I'd read somewhere (or heard?) that Sandvik's 13C26 was the steel that most razor blades used? I read a lot more about AEB-L steel than 12C27. As you said, they are almost the same steel. I myself do prefer a blade that is easy sharpened, even if that does require sharpening more often. That 12C27 does take an edge very nicely - and takes a polish.

Thanks to all for comments.

Ken H>

Well now, if you are looking at newer steels too, give Elmax or M390 a try ! Go to say 63 Rockwell and see the results you get ! Very nice steels to work with as well. And a fine quality steel in more available sizes is CPM154Frank

Another vote for AEBL! I like the ease of sharpening and as said above, its really easy to sharpen to a razor sharpness. It may not stay at medium sharpness as long as e.g ATS34-the gap is noticeable but its not THAT big if you get the HT right.
Most factory knives from Sandvik steels are rather in the 55-57 RC range ,may not get a cry and so there is a more noticeable difference in performance to "better" steels.
If you compare AEBL with 60-61RC the difference in performance is much smaller.

Yep, that M390 or Elmax or both almost "magical" steels, but they also have a price to match. A simple chef knife would have $30 or more in just the steel. Since I'm not making those "high dollar" custom knives, but only for family 'n friends as gifts, AEB-L or Sandvik allows do nicely at a 1/3 (or less) of cost for steel. With the 12C27 I've been tempering to around 59 Rc. I do have one that finished up at 60Rc - we'll see how that one holds up. They take a nice edge, hold it pretty good, and are easy to sharpen.

Thanks for all the info - it sounds like AEB-L is VERY similar to 12C27 and either will do what I need.

Ken H>

Honestly, I really like Elmax. But I dont think it warrants the price difference. I agree with rolynd. Most people judge aeb-l and 12c27 when tempered too soft (57-58) 60-61 its a whole nother animal.

Back