San Mai questions

KenH

Dan is doing a good job of writing up his WIP on San Mia - I've been wanting to try a piece myself and the WIP is giving me courage to try it. This COLD weather (40s & 50s) we're having is a good time to run the forge. I will need to order some steel. Looking for advice here. "IF" any thickness of the three layers could be chosen, what would the thickness of each layer need to be? AND what steels for each of forge welding?

Looking at AKS they have most any steel desired. I'm thinking 80CrV2 for the middle layer with 15N20 for outer two layers - are those good choices?

What thickness would be best for each layer? How would a .082" (or .072") for middle layer, with a .072" for outside layers work? I'm thinking 80CRV2 for middle layer with 15N20 for the two outside layers. Could I got with .058" 80CrV2 for middle layer with .062" for the two outer layers? OR - does the layers need to be thicker for better forge welding?

As all can see I'm a total newbie here and looking for all the guidance I can get. What temperature do I need to get the billet for forge welding? I've got a heavy TC in forge so I can monitor temp.

Thanks to any and all for any guidance and suggestions.

Ken H<>

I'll be watching this with interest, hopefully someone with experience with this will chime in. I don' t know enough to know if I am on or off track with it, but it is a lot of fun!

Back