Sambar Hunter

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
The blade for this knife is one I have had on hand for several months. Believe it came from some L-6 saw steel that I also did several thermal cycles before I totally heat treated it. Before I started building this knife I decided that the blade was to fat so I ground more away without the use of a belt grinder. I'm really looking forward to having my belt grinder working now. I did buy a new HF 7" angle grinder and used my old bench grinder for most of this knife. Rubbed the blade out several times by hand to remove the scratches. The blade is 5 3/4". I used modern iron for the fittings and a really nice piece of sambar stag for the handle. Overall this knife is 11". I even use my belt grinder when I do my leather work but found out the old bench grinder works pretty good on leather.

IMG_8848.JPG

IMG_8850.JPG

IMG_8849.JPG

That's a beauty Ray!,... I'm not missing the belt grinder a bit, in the pix. I think it looks like it feels even better without the belt grinder. :)

Last edited:
That's a beauty Ray!,... I'm not missing the belt grinder a bit, in the pix. I think it looks like it feels even better without the belt grinder. :)

I'm going to hug my belt grinder once I get it running. I may even clean it. The knife does feel pretty good........

Back