Salvage this???

CDH

To make a long story short this has been a nightmare build, and this close to finishing yet another problem crops up. The anvil pin for the strap retainers I got to try is waaaaay too short for a built up sheath. I hate snaps.

Thoughts and options!?!?!? I'm not getting anywhere and tired of looking at it.

sheathproblem.jpg

If the head of the strap retainer is hollow to except the base pin, thread the hole and use a machine screw with some red lock tight on it.

Your in a little bit of a bind there. Two ways to fix that IMO.

1. Use a brand new razor blade and cut between the front cover and first layer of the welt to seperate them. Punch a hole in the front for the pin side of the Sam Browne stud. Install stud then glue the leather back together then stitch.

2. Add an additional piece on top of the cover with the stud pre-installed. Glue it together then dye, then stitch.
Something just like this Paul Long sheath-
FiskGamblersSetPaulLongSheaths.jpg

I'd go with #2 because it looks like the stud will be in the way of the stitching if you go with #1

Good luck, Josh

Thanks guys...I had thought of threading it but figured it would look like the kludge it was. I may rethink that...I'm an engineer, not an artist, so durable is my top priority! I was actually hoping to reinforce the corner making it a dual rivit and stud. I like the look of those with the stud in the center though.

I would thread the hole in the stud as suggested, then grind the slot/recess off of the head of the screw you will use to attach it. Use glue to fix it in the hole from the back, then thread the stud onto it tightly, with Loctite in the threads to make it permanent. The smooth screw head should look like a rivet.

Last edited:
Had the same problem . (only once)
I customized a stainless steel nail to form a longer pin with a little filing. Once set, the head looks just like a rivet.

Rudy

Thanks for the idea! It turned out pretty nice. I was too scared to cut back the welt, so it only got stitched on the sides but the contact cement holds well in my experience.

2012-02-04_14-21-17_357.jpg

Back