Safety reminder: flying steel hurts

Tony Manifold

Sit at the medical clinic right now waiting for some stitches, so I thought I'd give a little safety tip. Flying steel can take a decent chunk out of you.
I was profiling a blank, and my hand let go. The flying blade tugged at my shirt but I was otherwise fine. I should have stopped there but I want the profiling done, so I picked up and started again. 5 min later my hand let go again and now I have a dime sized chunk missing from my forearm.

So be careful and know when your mind just isn't in your work. Stop all together or take a break.

Glad you are OK and it could have been much worse. Sometimes it's better to give it a rest, tiredness and pressing jobs can make accidents more likely. Hope your mended soon!

Sit at the medical clinic right now waiting for some stitches, so I thought I'd give a little safety tip. Flying steel can take a decent chunk out of you.
I was profiling a blank, and my hand let go. The flying blade tugged at my shirt but I was otherwise fine. I should have stopped there but I want the profiling done, so I picked up and started again. 5 min later my hand let go again and now I have a dime sized chunk missing from my forearm.

So be careful and know when your mind just isn't in your work. Stop all together or take a break.

What happened? Were you using an angle grinder?

Ouch!
Well the best part of this is that you are taking a moment to reflect and think about what you did wrong.

Take care and DO NOT go back to the grind because you have taken some pain pills and feel ALL better and like working now. Give yourself a few days and don't rely on inspiration in pill form.

What happened? Were you using an angle grinder?

I was shaping the back of the handle when it got away from me on my belt grinder. The belt travels towards me so it fired the point right into my arm
Edit: just took a look at the belt, it looks like a sharp piece, from the holes I drill when I cut out a blank, may have caught in the belt fabric. I'll have to be less aggressive until I get all the pointy bits rounded off, from now on.

Last edited:
I was shaping the back of the handle when it got away from me on my belt grinder. The belt travels towards me so it fired the point right into my arm
Edit: just took a look at the belt, it looks like a sharp piece, from the holes I drill when I cut out a blank, may have caught in the belt fabric. I'll have to be less aggressive until I get all the pointy bits rounded off, from now on.

Sorry to hear it regardless of how it happened. I pray you heal quickly and well.

Back