S30V heat treat question

Ty Adams

KNIFE MAKER
I have questions about heat treating S30V that I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable heat treaters can help me with. I have been trying out aebl and found that 1960 for 15 minutes and a plate quench with air is good enough. No pre-heat is needed.

Can I do the same process with S30V? I do have a LN tank. I have searched for heat treat information but have come up with nothing regarding a heat treat with no pre-heat. This looks like a steel that most makers don't use very much.

Found a thread just a couple posts down using google on s35vn where Darrin recommended skipping the pre-heat.

start here http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets2010/dsS30Vv1 2010.pdf S30V was a hit for a while, but some makers complained about irregular performance and went to S35VN which Crucible began making as an upgrade. the steel was developed for use where you needed high wear resistance and corrosion resistance such as plastic extrusion feed screws or the blades that turn old bulls into bologna. from Crucible info, sounds like a 2 furnace job. 1600F till heated thru, then into 1950F for 20 to 30 minutes. OIL Quench then LN2 is you desire

Back