S-guard, Frame-handle Bowie...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here's a neat bowie I finished not too long ago and thought I should send it to Coop for his quality work.

This knife was hand-forged from 1075. It is 14 1/4" overall with a 9" blade. The collar, guard, spacer and frame are all made from carbon fiber, which I think really fits the color theme of the knife perfectly and I deemed necessary to put the weight and balance of the blade where it should be as opposed to some sort of metal fittings. There are two bronze accents and some twisted filework along the blade spine and frame. The scales are beautiful feather figured black walnut.

The sheath is some stellar work from my good friend and sheath-maker Claude Scott. And of course, the image, fantastic as always, is by Coop. Thanks Jim!

All comments and discussion are welcome.

40040656074_2df400b599_c.jpg

26879811178_c3deced4b0_z.jpg

Classy!
I have said it before, but you never fail to amaze me with the beautiful work you do, John. It is simply beautiful.

That is a superb piece of work in all its aspects. Takes quite a while to see all the individual areas of skill that have gone into this one and the photo really makes it al pop. Grand effort and result.

It's funny how a little detail will grab your attention...I keep looking at the counter bores for the small button head torx...they're perfect...no burrs..no chatter...the top edge is crisp without looking overly sharp...you only get one shot at that...in 8 places. Lol! nice....

...and the muted finish on the wood...with all the high lights still showing...top notch.

First, beautiful work, very inspiring.
Second, a question. I have limited knowledge of frames and how they work, do please bear with me. I see that the small torx screws are on the outer portions of the handle and I am assuming they thread into some type of sleeve? And how is the actual tang of the knife fastened into the handle? If at all?
Thanks in advance.

The scales are pinned with hidden pins to the frame and then screwed to the frame also. This makes the scales and frame one solid piece, just like a regular handle block. Then the handle is hidden pinned and bolted up against the shoulders of the ricasso.

This makes sure that everything works as one solid piece.....nothing is able to twist, separate or pull apart.

Here's a pic of everything disassembled. If you study it you can see all the parts and where they go.
Capture+_2018-03-15-18-36-18.png

Very kind of you to take the time to post that. Thank you. I will definitely study it.
Thanks again.

It's funny how a little detail will grab your attention...I keep looking at the counter bores for the small button head torx...they're perfect...no burrs..no chatter...the top edge is crisp without looking overly sharp...you only get one shot at that...in 8 places. Lol! nice....

...and the muted finish on the wood...with all the high lights still showing...top notch.

I was thinking that same thing. Nice job all the way.

Back