Roman knot file work?

Tony Manifold

Anyone know of any tutorials on how to do roman knot file work? I was looking at different file work patterns and I found this but I can't find an explanation on how it is done anywhere.

This is what I am talking about, so we are all on the same page.
VanReenenSpine.jpg

I would start by drilling the spaced holes in the spine. Then I would use a triangle file on the edges, so that the point of the file lines up with the back of the hole on one side and the front of the hole on the other side. Then use a Barrett file edge to connect the points of the triangles to the prospective sides of the hole. I've never done this pattern, but just looking at it, that is the way I would do it. Perhaps someone has a much easier way.

The maker had been asked not to share the secret of roman knot file work. Guess I'll have to figure it out myself. I'll post a tutorial when I figure it out.

I have your answer, but not the cure.

I knew I had seen a how-to on Roman Knot. My OCD kicked in and I scoured the internet looking for the tutorial. Sorry, I could not find what I was looking for, at first.

I may have found something a little better . . . I found this little snippet.

I do not get BLADE magazine. But, I'm sure someone on here can help you with that issue. (Pun intended!) There I said it.

June 2011 BLADE®
How To Make Knives
• How To Do Roman Knot File Work

Good luck in your search.

DeMo

WoW. No wonder some makers never show up or want to talk about how to do things in knife making. They must feel they don't know enough to feel they can share and still do something that is special. Frank

I would start by drilling the spaced holes in the spine. Then I would use a triangle file on the edges, so that the point of the file lines up with the back of the hole on one side and the front of the hole on the other side. Then use a Barrett file edge to connect the points of the triangles to the prospective sides of the hole. I've never done this pattern, but just looking at it, that is the way I would do it. Perhaps someone has a much easier way.

Sounds bang on to me. May need a bit of experimentation to find the right tool to give the shape you want but the principal of what cuts to make sounds rihgt.

Don't see the need for secrecy on it.

I kind of understand why people want to keep some things to themselves. But at the same time, how can you progress without sharing with your brothers and sisters. Whatever I know about things (sadly not much) I am more than willing to share with those interested.

That's a really cool pattern too!

Tony started this thread with a simple question and it seems to have turned into a bashing session.

If a maker has “something” whether it be a product or skill that few others have it increases his marketability. It has nothing at all to do with arrogance or being selfish. I reckon you could ask a maker that is doing “roman knot” file work how to do just about anything else and he would tell you how to do it. There is no sense whatsoever in getting “pooch lipped” about it. Here is a “for instance” for ya, call Jerry Busse and ask him what makes up the INFI steel he utilizes in his knives. When he tells you to take a hike are you going to call him selfish because he won’t share? If so, then take your meds and get out of knifemaking; needle point may be a better option. Of course, when you run across something that really stumps you in that craft and “grandma” won’t tell you how to do it, there is always the option of just sitting around and drooling. (I await the replies of those who do not recognize sarcasm).

Tony, for the record, I have never done the roman knot but I agree with some of the other folks, either a drill or ball end mill, jewelers saw (possibly), and a three sided file, then you should be in business. If I can help ya give me a shout.

Curtis cmforgeknives.com

Back