Repair Buffalo Horn

Dmac

Got some black buffalo horn and when sanding down the handle it has hollow spots in it. It happened right at the stop point so any more sanding would make the handle to small. Does anyone have a fix for this. I think its going to be an on going problem working with horn and bone, this is the 2nd time in about 4 horn handle knives. I am thinking super glue with black paint or epoxy mixed with black paint and just fill it in and hope. Thanks.

When I encounter a void larger than what will fill easily with superglue I fill it with epoxy typically. You can buy the proper dyes for it from usaknifemaker, as I believe some paints may effect the curing process. I find a very quick, light wipe with a rag and some leather dye after it's shaped will blend it in quite well too but you can also contaminate the color of your handle material that way. With your horn being black this should be a pretty easy fix.

Thanks I ll order some. Very disheartening to get that close and a have problem like that come up on your knife. Saved again by the Knifedogs!!

Back