Relieving liners?

Travis Fry

Ok, I just posted about whether to get a grinder or a mill, and I've decided on the grinder. I still need to relieve liners for my slippies. I've used bronze washers and didn't hate it, but I'd rather not deal with them. So, without a mill, how do I relieve liners in stainless AND brass?

If it's just to inset the washers, you can use an end cutting end mill in your drill press. That's assuming your drill press doesn't have very much runout. I use an end mill for corby pins in my drill press, it works.

Rudy

I have seen some use an electro-etching machine to relieve the liners.

Mask off what you want to keep and etch the rest away.

Johnny

I was about to start a thread for this EXACT question. I'm glad I used the mysterious "search" function first. :)

Travis, did you get the liners done? How'd you go about it?

I am thinking about trying the etching method that Johnny mentioned. I know I have everything to that here already.

Brad, Please post an update on how the electro etch method works, I have been working on the same issue and don't want the expense of a mill.

I haven't gotten to try it yet. I am trying to talk myself into trying it. My other option if buying a flat end mill and just running it in my drill press VERY carefully.

I figured out a better (I think ) way to do this without a mill, and without real mill tooling. Dremel makes a Tungsten Carbide bit that is a cylinder with a flat end on it. Diameter is about 1/4" and chucking it in my drill press gave me an improvised milling type situation to relive the liners. I'll add a picture once I upload from my phone.

Here's the picture of the Dremel bit and how I set it up. I just moved the wood block around by hand.

2011-05-23%25252018.38.22.jpg

Back