Redwing boots

bladegrinder

So I bought another pair of company paid for steel toed Redwing boots the other day, look good, fit good.

So the next day I give them a good looking over an lo and behold, on the inside of the tongue it says....
MADE IN BANGLADESH...........I look at the bottom, yep says Redwing right there.

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Nope. I have been wearing the same style of Redwings for 20 years. The last pair I bought where made in China, cost more money and lasted about half as long.:oops:

for years my company paid for safety boots were Wolverine, made in USA. It generates massive negative pressure that the style I like is now made over there somewhere.

Nothing is sacred anymore. I was looking for a pair of slip joint pliers the other day made by Crescent. They have always been American made.
CRS_R200SET2_FRNT_MAIN.jpg
I turned it over and it says made in China. I just laughed and put it back on the shelf!! Might as well go over to Harbor Freight were they don't hide the fact they are made in China!!

Well...there are still a few things sacred....the knives made by us...in the US...lol. On American made belt grinders...lol

The other day... I looked at the first Cold Steel knife I bought 25 years ago...and just noticed...MADE IN JAPAN....what the???

It is a pretty nice knife though...never occurred to me that it wasn't made in Ventura Ca...

I echo what Ty said. The last pair of Redwings I bought were duds through and through. They began breaking down soon after I bought them.

The BEST work boots I ever had were Carolina brand. They were heavy, and they were sock stainers, but good night were they comfortable and stable. I never began to feel my feet or my back until 10 or 12 hours into a day. The second best work boots I ever had were Bates steel toe combat boots. I wore those for years after I got out of the service, but I got tired of being "that guy" wearing the combat boots.

I found a pair of White brand logging boots in Salvation army store on monday...$3.00....I had never seen a set before...amazing!! Size 8 but I bought them anyway...they were new. They had soles that were stitched and then a bit in from the stitching there were what looked like little deck screws also holding the soles...the leather looked about 10/12 thick...oiled completely through...I gave them to a friend from oregon...his whole family are timber fellers...His eyes lit up..he said those are over $200 boots! But...they're heavy...some guys don't like them if they're walking a lot while cutting.

I told them to give 'em to his dad who is visiting from oregon to take home...and give to a young logger.

American made in washington state...still some good stuff...wish I had size 8 feet...lol

My wife LOVES shopping at Goodwill, Emmy's, Salvation Army, etc - any of those type stores..... and I LOVE her shopping at those places. Helps on cutting living costs, and she sometimes brings home good stuff... Got all my Pewter stuff there which I use for the tin in casting bullets.

My wife got me hooked on going to Goodwill. She had to drag me in there the first time but not anymore. Goodwill also has an online store, kind of an "internal eBay" where you can bid on items. I have picked up quite a few things that way.

I used to get kitchen knives there...till they stopped putting them out...you know "safety"....

I got a Solingen Germany knife there(salvation army)...ebony handle triple stainless pins...cuts like you wouldn't believe...65 cents...every knife was 65cents...was...

I bought a high end dog training collar there $16, an Italian Pasta machine 10 bucks, lots of great stuff!! Got a couple of Toaster ovens there that I use to temper my blades with both under $10!!

My wife LOVES shopping at Goodwill, Emmy's, Salvation Army, etc - any of those type stores..... and I LOVE her shopping at those places. Helps on cutting living costs, and she sometimes brings home good stuff... Got all my Pewter stuff there which I use for the tin in casting bullets.
My wife is the same always looking for deals.But for some reason I always felt weird in those places.

My wife is the same always looking for deals.But for some reason I always felt weird in those places.

I used to feel weird in there, too- because I thought all that stuff was donated to charity for people who needed help. Then I found out that isn't the case. Yeah, YOU donated it- but they aren't donating crap to anyone. They take your donations and sell them at their retail outlet. Period.

Now that I realize it's just a secondhand store, I don't feel the slightest bit strange about going in there. By the way, Goodwill has an online store like their own ebay where you can bid on stuff. I've gotten some really good vintage hand tools for next to nothing.

I used to feel weird in there, too- because I thought all that stuff was donated to charity for people who needed help. Then I found out that isn't the case. Yeah, YOU donated it- but they aren't donating crap to anyone. They take your donations and sell them at their retail outlet. Period.

Now that I realize it's just a secondhand store, I don't feel the slightest bit strange about going in there. By the way, Goodwill has an online store like their own ebay where you can bid on stuff. I've gotten some really good vintage hand tools for next to nothing.
I don't doubt it but even as a kid when the other kids were going in there to buy things I never did just felt funny and I was the farthest thing from rich there was.Now my wife is like my father if there is something on the side of the road with a sign that says free it's GONE!

I've had my Redwings for about three years now, never checked where they were made (Probably should have) but the tags worn out and I can't even read it anymore. I happen to love my Redwings but I've been told Carolina welding boots are quite nice. If I need some other type of footwear I get them at good will, got my fencing shoes there. Size thirteen and a half can be rather hard to find though.

Back