redo required...

redleg155

Picking up a carbon v TrailMaster later today for a song. I'm not a fan of Cold Steel, wasn't looking for one either, but really stumbled across this one for pocket change.

I would like some input as to how to make it a better handled knife.

A good micarta handle and maybe welding up the factory tang so that a full tang handle is possible - or - looking for ideas.

Thanks - redleg

Plaease PM me or reply here with thoughts...ideas

- redleg

Last edited:
nothing wrong with the tang...

I would like to see a leather/micarta combo for that

but thats just me

cant wait to see what ya got

there was a WIP on british blades, leather washers and piece of burl of wood i think
i'll try to find it

there was a WIP on british blades, leather washers and piece of burl of wood i think
i'll try to find it

I remembered seeing that, but I don't remember where. I did copy the pictures, because I thought it looked so nice. Here it is:

IMG_2558.jpg

I'd give credit and reference where it came from, but I don't remember. If anyone finds the site, that'd be great.

Keep in mind, alot of knives that have a coating on them have a very rough "finish" beneath it.

Thanks Mack1.

What's the best method for removing it? I'm thinking that griding may be the only or best option...?

Thanks - redleg

Thanks Mack1.

What's the best method for removing it? I'm thinking that griding may be the only or best option...?

Thanks - redleg

If you're asking about removing the coating, don't waste your time sanding it off. That'll take forever. I speak from experience. Use something like Jasco Paint & Epoxy Remover. I did my Cold Steel SRK (seen in my mod thread) with a razor blade scraper and sand paper. I'll never do that again! After most of the coating is stripped from the blade, then (I've found) a belt sander is best for smoothing the blade faces and getting any last bit of coating off. I'm no expert at satin finishes, but I hope you get the idea.

Back